Hallo everyone from Italy

Just registered? Come in to say hello!
HamsterP

Hallo everyone from Italy

Post by HamsterP » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:43 pm

Hi everyone,
just joined the Sarah McLachlan' fans family.
I discovered Sarah's music only a few weeks ago, thanks to a complialtion a friend sent me,.
I really feel her music suits me perfectly.
I had to come in contact with other fans, to share this brand new love and to look for your help.
Which record should be the first I have to buy? And why?
There sure will be dozen of editions.... Please advise me for the best.
Oh, my... there's a new record on its way, too.
This Winter, but above all next Spring, will definitely be interesting.
Hope she could tour Italy.

Paolo

Islandflyer
Drifting

Re: Hallo everyone from Italy

Post by Islandflyer » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:22 am

HamsterP wrote:Hi everyone,
just joined the Sarah McLachlan' fans family.
I discovered Sarah's music only a few weeks ago, thanks to a complialtion a friend sent me,.
I really feel her music suits me perfectly.
I had to come in contact with other fans, to share this brand new love and to look for your help.
Which record should be the first I have to buy? And why?
There sure will be dozen of editions.... Please advise me for the best.
Oh, my... there's a new record on its way, too.
This Winter, but above all next Spring, will definitely be interesting.
Hope she could tour Italy.

Paolo
Welcome, Paolo! Many will tell you to start with her best-known albums, Fumbling Towards Ecstasy or Surfacing, both of which have many of her best-known and most intense songs. But most everything she has done is excellent. Since she just put out "The Essential Sarah McLachlan" with songs spanning her entire catalog, that might be a good one to get. If you like to see and hear her perform live, look for the Fumbling Towards Ecstasy or Mirrorball DVDs. Search on YouTube for these titles and you will see a number of selections from these DVDs. Having said that, check out a favorite of mine; "The Path of Thorns (Terms)" from her second album, Solace (but here from the Fumbling Towards Ecstasy DVD).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLTWoAmT3h0

As for the why, it's hard to explain. It sounds as if she has already captured you, though! :D Although her songs often express common themes, Sarah has a unique and wonderful way of describing them, with poetic and memorable lyrics. Of course, she's best known for her incomparable singing style, where she realizes the emotions in the songs to best advantage. She will "take your breath away". Listen, and you will understand. :)

Enjoy!

Ed
Ed

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:20 am

Hello Paolo, welcome to the board! It's great that you like Sarah's music, you will surely find her songs very touching. :)

About where you should begin, it's hard to say. The first songs I heard were Building A Mystery and Sweet Surrender, from Surfacing (1997), but the first album I got was Fumbling Towards Ecstasy.
Why don't you pick the album that contains your favorite song from the compilation? This could be a good start!

About the versions, it's not really complicated. If you want to buy the physical records, you will probably find these in stores (only studio albums):
- 1989 Touch: only one version of the record
- 1991 Solace: at the beginning, the album was release with 11 tracks, the last one being "Wear Your Love Like Heaven". This version is not available anymore on physical disc, but if you purchase the digital record, you can have it (or you can buy only this song).
- 1993 Fumbling Towards Ecstacy: one version, but in 2008, there was a new release with Legacy Records. It features FTE, The Freedom Sessions and the FTE Live DVD.
- 1994 The Freedom Sessions: one version, but also available with the Legacy release of FTE.
- 1996 Rarities B-Sides and Other Stuff: one version
- 1997 Surfacing: only one version (the bonus disc is not available anymore)
- 2003 Afterglow: only one version
- 2008 Rarities B-Sides #2: only one version
- 2010 Laws of Illusion: two versions, the deluxe one has also a DVD with some acoustic songs.

The list of Sarah's albums is here:
http://www.solaced.info/?page_id=15

If you want to buy the digital records, you will have plenty of choice (studio albums, live albums, remixes, ....)! :D
Karine

HamsterP

Post by HamsterP » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:33 pm

Thank you Islandflyer and Karine for your warm welcome and all your words and suggestions.
I first fell in love with a live version od "Ice Cream".
I've also heard the studio version, but it seemsa perfect for a live render.
I'm proud to say that "The Essential Sarah McLachlan" has been my very first purchase. "Fumbling Towards Ecstasy" or "Mirrorball" may be next.
I'm more into the phisical media than the digital offers. It's not that I can't get used to an .mp3, I simply can't find satisfying its "possessions". I need to have something in my hands to admire and touch first, then put the record on and let emotions flow,
With Sarah's, music has strongly entered into my life again. I simply couldn't find anything worth, lately.
Too many rubbish out there for my tastes and the artist I love aren't releasing much lately.
I'm so happy I've found her music I can't tell. The more I listen to her songs, the more I realize she's already been a silent part of my years. So many tunes I've already heard here and then, but never really focused on before.
In some ways she resembles me of Kate Bush, which I love btw.
Both are a very strong character, excellent songwriters and eclectic singers.
It will be a wonderful journey through Sarah's music and I've found the perfect place to stay. :D

Ciao

Paolo

PS: be kind with my English. Not mothertongue at all! :p

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:08 pm

It's not a coincidence if it reminds you of Kate Bush: at the beginning of her career, Sarah was listening to her music. I even have 2 live covers (Babushka and Wuthering Heights) and according to my files, she sang them in 1987, at the beginning of her career. Tell me if you want them ;)

If you like the live version of Ice Cream, I suggest that you listen to her live albums ("Mirrorball", as you mentionned it). I didn't buy The Essential compilation, but if I'm right, the Ice Cream track that is featured on it comes from "The Freedom Sessions" record.
The songs from TFS come from Fumbling Towards Ecstasy, they're acoustic version of them (a sort of "making of" FTE). I think you will like both records!

Maybe you will enjoy this live acoustic session that Sarah did last year. It was recorded by CBC Music:
http://music.cbc.ca/#/concerts/Sarah-Mc ... 2012-02-24
Karine