Hello from the Netherlands!

Just registered? Come in to say hello!
Luus81
Touched

Hello from the Netherlands!

Post by Luus81 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:13 pm

Wow, it has been a long time since a new forum member registered on this forum! So here I am! Let me introduce myself first... :)
My name is Lucie (my forum name is Luus81). I am 38 years old. I live in the Netherlands.
I love to listen to music. I love all kinds of music, but I mostly listen to pop, (soft) rock, 80's and 90's music.
I am a great supporter of PSV Eindhoven (football or soccer, depends on what you prefer to call this sport :-) ). I have a membership card and I visit as many home games as possible (unfortunately not now because of COVID-19). If possible, I also visit away games outside the Netherlands (Champions League or Europa League).

Believe it or not, I've been a Sarah McLachlan fan since December 2019! :shock: :oops: Well, how come? I already 'knew' Sarah McLachlan with songs Angel and Wintersong. These two songs were in my playlist on iTunes for years. Last Christmas (2019) I realized I had never seen video clips of her. I just didn't know anything about her, but I did know Angel and Wintersong. Because Wintersong also has an emotional meaning for me and I wanted to commemorate my loved ones around Christmas time. So I went looking for a Wintersong video clip on YouTube (which I wanted to share on my Facebook profile), and that's where I first saw Sarah; a singer sitting at the piano, singing Wintersong. I had to shed a tear. It gave me goosebumps. It blew me away. It dropped my jaw… Oh my God, under which rock have I spent the past 30+ years not knowing her music well ???!!! I am deeply ashamed as an avid music lover… So sorry for this…! :oops: :oops: :oops:
Luckily, we have Spotify, iTunes and YouTube, and I've been discovering her music and videos ever since. I play her music non-stop. I discover new videos on YouTube. My wish is to attend Sarah’s concert one day. And a meet-and-greet with Sarah would be lovely! It will not be that easy, because I live in the Netherlands… But hey, keep on dreaming...!
And how did I end up here on this forum? I was a little bored and I was looking for a Sarah McLachlan fan club or at least a forum or messageboard to connect with other fans. So here I am, a real newbie!
I know it's very quiet here now, but it gives me a place to talk about Sarah McLachlan with others...

I'm curious: are there fans of Sarah from the Netherlands, or at least Europe?? I would love to connect with you! Of course I want to connect with other fans across the world too!
I hope I feel welcomed here. If you have questions for me, feel free to ask! :)
You're so beautiful with an edge and charm
But so careful when I'm in your arms

Quincy
Fallen

Re: Hello from the Netherlands!

Post by Quincy » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:39 am

Hi Lucie,
Welcome to the board.
Unfortunately it’s quiet these days on the forum, not overly sure why, but I’m sure that if SMcL releases another album things will pick up.
I’m from the UK, which depending on your political viewpoint, could be classed as Europe.
You mention PSV as your favourite football team. This was one of the last European games which me and my son saw when PSV played Leeds United back in 2002 I believe, (a game which I think Leeds lost?.)
As for seeing Sarah live, then I think you’ll have to go to either Canada, or, the US to see her. She doesn’t seem to want to travel outside of the North American continent these days. The last visit to Europe was in 2004 (but I’ll be corrected on that). I’ve tried unsuccessfully to see her on at least 3 occasions, the most recent was July last year, but for various reasons they fell through. I must now conclude that I’ll never get the chance to see her live.
The big boss lady of this site, Ellie, is from Holland, although she doesn’t write as much as she has done in previous years. If you send her a PM I’m sure that she’ll send you some downloads of live concerts which she has amassed over the years. One other big contributor over the years has been Karine, however I’m not expecting to hear much from her now for quite a while, since she should be a new mother by now.
If you get the chance then beg, borrow, steal or stream some of her albums. For me Afterglow (2003) is my current favourite, followed by Mirrorball live. Sarah’s earlier work was, for me, some of her best work. It had edge and more than a little attitude. Only you can judge whether that is true.

Quincy

Luus81
Touched

Post by Luus81 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:05 pm

Hi Quincy,

Thank you for your response! Yeah, I know it's very quiet here and that a new CD might revive the forum. I know that Sarah announced last year and last February 2020 (during the US tour) that she will release a new album as soon as possible, maybe this year. I just hope that this crisis will not affect it. We'll see... ;)

It's funny that you can still remember the 2002 Leeds game against PSV! I remember it was an exciting game. Yeah, we won... :D (sorry...)
BTW, in November 2018 I was in London for the Tottenham Hotspur vs PSV match at Wembley Stadium. It was an exciting game, PSV led 1-0 for a fairly long time, but in the last fifteen minutes the Spurs struck and won the game 2-1. :( :? Despite that, it was an unforgettable experience, especially it was at Wembley Stadium. The atmosphere was really great. Nice stadium too! Would love to go back again some time... :)

It depends on my mood which album I listen to, but so far Fumbling Towards Ecstasy is my biggest favorite. I can listen to this album from start to finish, time after time.
Also in my top 5 are these albums (in no particular order): Surfacing, Laws of Illusions, Afterglow and Shine On.
I am also a fan of her Rarities albums and remix albums.
And I love her Christmas albums Wintersong and Wonderland (I love Christmas music!).

I'm going to discover the rest of the forum and see what I'm going to post ... :)

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:20 am

Hi Lucie! :)
I hope you'll find interesting things here. You are right, the forum is quiet, but I believe it's because most fans have moved to Facebook or other social media/communities. However, we're still here. I have to admit that I don't come as often as I used to, just because I'm busy with some other things (like taking care of my little baby boy, which was born on January 27th! :D )
By the way, the owner of the website, Ellen, is from the Netherlands.
I discovered Sarah when I was 15 (I'm 37 now), in high school, and I've never stopped listening to her music since then. It's great to be a newbie: you get to discover all the beautiful songs she wrote. Feel free to share your fresh impressions with us.
Welcome!
Karine

Luus81
Touched

Post by Luus81 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:33 am

Hi Karine, congrats with your baby boy!

Quincy
Fallen

Post by Quincy » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:04 pm

Hey Lucie,

Have you noticed, that team of mine, Leeds United, aka The Mighty Whites, have gained promotion to the premier league.
We’re back were we belong, with the elite.

I’m a happy little bunny today :P

Quincy

Luus81
Touched

Post by Luus81 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:05 pm

Quincy wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:04 pm
Hey Lucie,

Have you noticed, that team of mine, Leeds United, aka The Mighty Whites, have gained promotion to the premier league.
We’re back were we belong, with the elite.

I’m a happy little bunny today :P

Quincy
Yeah, I've heard it last week... Congrats! :)