What do you think of the Album?

Crazylitstudent
Drifting

What do you think of the Album?

Post by Crazylitstudent » Mon May 05, 2014 9:49 am

So what are peoples opinions on Shine on? :)

I know most people won't hear the album till tomorrow but as I said in the news topic it was up early on spotify and I've had a listen to the deluxe version of the album and....

I have to say it is a REALLY good album. I would continue on to say that it is Sarah's strongest effort since Afterglow. Its a lovely mix of rocky, jazzy and folky songs which make me smile because I know I'm listening to something awesome. My favourite song on the album is Songs For my Father which I think may be one of my favourite Sarah songs of all time already.

Is the album perfect? To be honest no. I'm not a fan of Love Beside Me. Lyrically it is good but its the most "Pop" song on the album and I feel a little over produced so not my cup of tea. But that is just one song out of 13 on the deluxe version, the rest are really good. In my period of inactivity on here I was drifting away from Sarah's music, however, Shine On has really pulled me back.

Rating 4.5 stars out of Five

Sweetfear
Building A Mystery

Re: What do you think of the Album?

Post by Sweetfear » Mon May 05, 2014 11:03 am

I had a few listens to the album and I have so many mixed feelings. As previously discussed amongst fans, I don't think any of us expected or needed a new Surfacing / FTE but in any case, I would love to see a different side of Sarah, more similar to Awakenings?

Regarding the new songs, I don't think I had enough time to really make up my mind but so far - In Your Shoes, Flesh and Blood, Love Beside Me + Turn The Lights Down Low are my faves with the last three being on repeat two days now.

I haven't really connected with any of the other songs. I feel that most of them fall flat and I seem to forget them as soon as I stop listening to them which is never good. I will give it some more time although I don't want to like something just because Sarah is my fave artist .. Now regarding extras, Little B and What's It Gonna Take are great although I was expecting strings on the latter. Same with Beautiful Girl - where the hell is that beautiful cello?! :((

OVERALL - I'm not excited and I actually agree with half the reviews out there. I would give the album a 4/10.
Tangled up in our embrace
There's nothing I'd like better than to fall

Mooncrown

Post by Mooncrown » Wed May 07, 2014 2:34 am

Had my first listen of the album today and all I can say is - WOW! Sarah has definitely put her all into this album and it shows. I agree with others that she is sounding more assured and is taking some risks here. I know some people have said they are having difficulty connecting with the songs emotionally but I don't feel that way at all. I love that she is exploring different topics - not just love- and her lyrics and melodies are so strong . I would love to post my thoughts for each song when I've had a few more listens especially with headphones but there was noting I didn't like here, honestly! Songs that stood out so far: Monsters, Brink of Destruction, Surrender and Certainty, Beautiful Girl, Broken Heart and Song for My Father. I can tell that I really love it because as soon as it finished I couldn't wait to hear it again. I think I may go listen now in fact.

Enjoy everyone!

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Thu May 08, 2014 3:44 pm

I didn't post any review because I had to much work to do to be able to just sit and enjoy the songs. I listened to the album of course, I really like it but I'm unable to tell if I have a favorite track. When I'll have a moment to relax and just focus on the record, it'll be easier for me to know. :)
Karine

Islandflyer
Drifting

Post by Islandflyer » Fri May 09, 2014 3:15 am

Finally got to hear it again on Amazon while waiting for the CD to arrive. On second listen I'm pretty impressed. I think I like Surrender and Certainty best so far. Song for my Father is quite moving, too. This album is one that I will need to listen to without paying close attention for a while to let it sink in. I'm still wondering if it's not too "poppy" for me to stay with, but I'll find out as I listen more. The different instrumentation on some songs is nice, too. Overall it does seem to be somewhere between Afterglow and LOI in many ways. Still her signature sound, but noticeably different. Very good melodies.

I guess she couldn't be expected to do much better than this, though: #1 in Music :lol:

Ed

chadwick
Touched

Post by chadwick » Fri May 09, 2014 10:14 pm

i've listened to it several times in full and it's pleasant. aside from a few songs (still don't know their names too well), nothing really stuck out, or has drawn me for multiple re-listens. The only exception is SFMF, mainly for its lovely picked-guitar melody -- i'm still not sure about the horn instrument during the latter half. i hope a studio-quality acoustic version of this song surfaces.

i think it needs more digesting time to gather a full opinion on it. i would have liked to seen more experimentation on a couple tracks, whether it be more technical guitar/piano melodies or even a dabble in electronic pop (i.e., dido). she did "up" the jazz factor in a couple songs.
fumbling...

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Wed May 21, 2014 12:50 pm

Yes, that's it, this is how I feel when I listen to it:
Like stepping in from the cold to find a warm fireplace and your favourite blanket. The new album, Shine On, by Sarah McLachlan is the musical equivalent of getting re-acquainted with an old friend.
http://www.theaureview.com/albums/sarah ... on-lp-2014
Karine

TheSquirrel
Full Of Grace

Post by TheSquirrel » Sat May 24, 2014 2:43 am

Had only listened to In Your Shoes, which I still think is naff, so had not been inspired to listen to anything else from the new album, then tonight just before 3am I looked at some of the new songs on the SM channel. Heard Beautiful Girl and went into snooze mode after 5 seconds, then after 30 seconds something happened. My god it's Sarah McLachlan! It sounded like some of the old passion was back. Monsters, and Flesh And Blood sounded great. Then unfortunately it was back to dreary Angel mode for Broken Heart. A few too many dreary heard it all before/ Angel/rehashed snooooze songs, but some good ones too. Like some of the others on here I don't want to hear FTE or Afterglow again, I want something new and refreshing, and occasionally, on first listening, this new one serves up just that. Hopeful. It gave me that Sarah McLachlan feel, when just the mention of her name made me feel like an over excited 16 year old again. THAT'S the artist who created all the songs I love. THAT'S my favourite songwriter of all time.
I'm an opinionated old tosser and proud of it.

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Sat May 24, 2014 11:38 am

TheSquirrel wrote:Had only listened to In Your Shoes, which I still think is naff, so had not been inspired to listen to anything else from the new album, then tonight just before 3am I looked at some of the new songs on the SM channel. Heard Beautiful Girl and went into snooze mode after 5 seconds, then after 30 seconds something happened. My god it's Sarah McLachlan! It sounded like some of the old passion was back. Monsters, and Flesh And Blood sounded great. Then unfortunately it was back to dreary Angel mode for Broken Heart. A few too many dreary heard it all before/ Angel/rehashed snooooze songs, but some good ones too. Like some of the others on here I don't want to hear FTE or Afterglow again, I want something new and refreshing, and occasionally, on first listening, this new one serves up just that. Hopeful. It gave me that Sarah McLachlan feel, when just the mention of her name made me feel like an over excited 16 year old again. THAT'S the artist who created all the songs I love. THAT'S my favourite songwriter of all time.
I'm glad that you like "Monsters" and "Flesh And Blood", they're very good! :)
Karine

TheSquirrel
Full Of Grace

Post by TheSquirrel » Sat May 24, 2014 6:26 pm

Flesh And Blood could almost have come from Solace and Monsters could almost have come from Touch. The great thing is I like the pacing and the songs have an individuality of their own without everything sounding the same. She's back - albeit temporarily, but I'll settle for that. I argued a few years ago that Kate Miller Heidke's Nightflight is the album McLachlan should be making. Every track has a personality of its own. Shine On's occasionally a little too snoozy for my taste, but has some strong songs. Yeah she's back. Thank goodness.
I'm an opinionated old tosser and proud of it.