New album news

Karine
A change is coming

Re: New album news

Post by Karine » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:29 am

She really has a way to touch us, her songs are really beautiful! :)
Last edited by Karine on Sat May 03, 2014 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karine

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:34 am

Karine

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:17 pm

First review of Shine On that I read. I don't agree with it, but it gives us a few info about the production:
http://www.slantmagazine.com/music/revi ... n-shine-on
Best known for his work with such disparate acts as Metallica and Michael Buble, Bob Rock's production on the standout "Flesh and Blood" and the comparatively hard-edged "Love Beside Me" plugs a bit of figurative and literal electricity into the proceedings.
Karine

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:30 pm

Who will be there during the Sarah McLachlan Q&A chat session later today? It's in 2 hours from now.
I don't know if I'll be back in time for the beginning but unless there's a problem in the tramway or when I come back home, I think I'll be able to make if for the second half of the chat.
I wonder what are the kind of questions people will ask...
"Will you sing in [name of city/country] please?" ;)

There are already tons of questions like this on the offical website and I'm sure 50% of the FB questions will be about touring.

By the way, when I was reading comments on the official SM website, I saw this. I wonder if these answers are about the US leg of the tour or about any Shine On tour.
Team Sarah McLachlan 17 hours ago
Sarah won’t make it to Germany this year but hopes to in the future
Any chance of an Australia/New Zealand tour in the near future?
Team Sarah McLachlan 17 hours ago
Not this tour unfortunately but hopefully on a future tour!
Karine

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Thu May 01, 2014 7:31 pm

Sorry for that giant post, but here are the album credits (sorry, I couldn't find the writing credits) :)

Performance Credits
Sarah McLachlan: Primary Artist, Guitar, Piano, Keyboards, Ukulele, Vocals, Pump Organ
Brian Blade: Drums
Paul Bushnell: Bass, Vocals
Matt Chamberlain: Percussion
Kevin Dean: Trumpet
David Grott: Trombone
Vincent Jones: Bass, Guitar, Keyboards, Hammond B3
Pierre Marchand: Bass, Piano, Drums, Keyboards
Jamie Muhoberac: Keyboards, Vocals
Lyle Workman: Guitar, Vocals
Ingrid Jensen: Trumpet
Joel Shearer: Guitar, Vocals
Ashwin Sood: Drums
Luke Doucet: Guitar, Vocals
Bill Gossage: Bass
Jamie Edwards: Keyboards
Abe Laboriel Jr.: Drums
Melissa McClelland: Vocals
Joel Miller: Tenor Saxophone
Christine Jensen: Alto Saxophone
Philippe Melanson: Percussion, Drums
Chris Potter: Bass
Emmanuel Ethier: Guitar

Technical Credits
Sarah McLachlan: Composer, Producer
Don Felder: Composer
Bernie Grundman: Mastering
Vincent Jones: Producer, Engineer, drum programming
Pierre Marchand : Composer, Producer, drum programming
Bob Rock: Producer
Luke Doucet: Composer
Fred Bouchard: Engineer
Crystal Heald: Art Direction
Blair Daly: Composer
Eric Helmkamp: Engineer
Hillary Lindsey: Composer
Matt Morris: Composer
Christine Jensen: Horn Arrangements
Pascal Shefteshy: Engineer
Tom Douglas: Composer
Chris Potter: Engineer
Moon:and:6: Engineer

If it's easier, here are the credits song by song ;)

1 In Your Shoes
03:55
Producer: Pierre Marchand - Artist: Sarah McLachlan - Piano: Sarah McLachlan - Drum Programming: Pierre Marchand - Guitar: Michel Pepin - Guitar: Emmanuel Ethier - Drums & Percussion: Philippe Melanson

2 Flesh And Blood
04:20
Producer: Bob Rock - Artist: Sarah McLachlan - Piano: Sarah McLachlan - Drums: Ashwin Sood - Bass: Chris Potter - Guitar: Vincent Jones - Keyboards: Jamie Edwards - Keyboards: Jamie Muhoberac

3 Monsters
03:16
Producer: Pierre Marchand - Artist: Sarah McLachlan - Guitar: Sarah McLachlan - Drum Programming: Pierre Marchand - Guitar: Emmanuel Ethier - Drums: Philippe Melanson - Percussion: Matt Chamberlain

4 Broken Heart
03:18
Producer: Pierre Marchand - Artist: Sarah McLachlan - Guitar: Sarah McLachlan - Bass: Pierre Marchand - Drums: Brian Blade

5 Surrender And Certainty
04:48
Producer: Pierre Marchand - Artist: Sarah McLachlan - Piano: Sarah McLachlan - Drums: Brian Blade - Bass: Bill Gossage - Trumpet: Ingrid Jensen - Alto Saxophone: Christine Jensen - Tenor Saxophone: Joel Miller - Trombone: David Grott

6 Song For My Father
03:18
Producer: Pierre Marchand - Artist: Sarah McLachlan - Guitar: Sarah McLachlan - Drums: Brian Blade - Bass: Pierre Marchand - Trumpet: Kevin Dean

7 Turn The Lights Down Low
03:56
Producer: Bob Rock - Artist: Sarah McLachlan - Piano: Sarah McLachlan - Drums: Ashwin Sood - Guitar: Luke Doucet - Guitar: Lyle Workman - Keyboards: Jamie Edwards

8 Love Beside Me
04:36
Producer: Bob Rock - Artist: Sarah McLachlan - Keyboards: Sarah McLachlan - Drums: Abe Laboriel Jr. - Bass: Paul Bushnell - Guitar: Lyle Workman - Guitar: Joel Shearer - Keyboards: Jamie Muhoberac

9 Brink Of Destruction
04:00
Producer: Pierre Marchand - Artist: Sarah McLachlan - Harmonium: Sarah McLachlan - Drums: Brian Blade - Bass: Pierre Marchand - Hammond Organ: Vincent Jones - Guitar: Emmanuel Ethier

10 Beautiful Girl
03:34
Producer: Pierre Marchand - Artist: Sarah McLachlan - Piano: Sarah McLachlan - Guitar: Luke Doucet - Bass: Bill Gossage - Vocals: Melissa McClelland

11 The Sound That Love Makes
02:18
Artist: Sarah McLachlan - Producer: Vincent Jones - Producer: Sarah McLachlan - Drum Programming: Vincent Jones

She worked with big names, some that I've seen before like Luke and Melissa, Ashwin, Pierre, Michel Pepin, Fred Bouchard, Chris Potter, Vincent Jones

New ones (well, I don't remember that their names were in Sarah's credits before):
-Kevin Dean (co-founder of the Jazz Association of Montréal, also professor at McGill University)
-Philippe Melanson (drummer who studied jazz percussion at McGill, plays in some jazz bands and quartets)
-The Jensen sisters (well known in Canada, Christine won a Juno this year)
-Jamie Edwards (past member of Our Lady Peace & worked with Chantal Kreviazuk, that's perfect, I like them both!)
-Brian Blade (a jazz drummer who worked with Joni Mitchell, Norah Jones and Emmylou Harris)
-Joel Miller (2013 Juno Award for Best Contemporary Jazz Recording, from Montréal)
-David Groth (also professor at McGill, he works with Christine Jensen)
-Lyle Workman (toured with Sting, worked with Norah Jones and Alanis Morissette on "Havoc and Bright Lights")
-Jamie Muhoberac (worked with The Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, Phil Collins, John Mayer)
-Bill Gossage (worked with Susi Arioli)
-Emmanuel Ethier (worked with the lovely Coeur de pirate, Jimmy Hunt)
-Joel Shearer (toured with Our Lady Peace, worked with Ron Sexsmith, Sara Bareilles, Alanis Morissette)
-Abe Laboriel, Jr. (drummer for Paul McCartney, Mylène Farmer, Eric Clapton)
Karine

RiverOfLove
Fallen

Post by RiverOfLove » Fri May 02, 2014 3:54 am

I think this is one of her strongest albums to date. I thought it was her best since Afterglow, but I'd even go back as far as Surfacing!

This is a magnificent album. While I liked the last two albums (Laws Of Illusion and Wintersong), I felt something special was missing. This album recaptured classic Sarah. I can't pick a song that I dislike, or that I would have left off. All 11 tracks are beautiful.

I can't wait until I see her live in June, and I see and hear some of these beautiful new tracks come to life. :D

Times seen Sarah Live:
November 10th, 2010, Taft Theater, Cincinnati OH
July 11th, 2014, PNC Pavillion, Cincinnati OH

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Fri May 02, 2014 9:07 am

Yes indeed, this is a very good album! So, you're going to see Sarah live? Great! :D

I found this:
In Your Shoes: composers: Sarah McLachlan, Pierre Marchand, Luke Doucet
Flesh And Blood: composers: Sarah McLachlan, Blair Daly, Hillary Lindsey
Karine

chadwick
Touched

Post by chadwick » Fri May 02, 2014 5:17 pm

iTunes has the 90-second clips up. i know the full record is streaming but we now have a glimpse of "little B" and "what its gonna take." even though we heard the latter song a year or so ago, it sounds like a new recording -- purely acoustic, which makes me happy. the melody was pretty but i didn't like the production on the version that was released as a single.
Last edited by chadwick on Tue May 20, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fumbling...

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Fri May 02, 2014 6:54 pm

chadwick wrote:iTunes has the 90-second clips up. i know the full record is streaming but we now have a glimpse of "little B" and "what its gonna take." Even though we heard the latter song a year or so ago, it sounds like a new recording -- purely acoustic, which makes me happy. the melody was pretty but i didn't like the production on the version that was released as a single.
Thanks a lot for that tip!!
I like that new version of What's It Gonna Take!
Little B sounds like a sweet piano lullaby :)
Karine

Sweetfear
Building A Mystery

Post by Sweetfear » Sat May 03, 2014 1:36 pm

So sad to see that the new album features no strings (Cello/violin etc). Beautiful Girl I find to be such a boring song and the ONLY thing that made it for me was the soaring cello.
Tangled up in our embrace
There's nothing I'd like better than to fall