afterglow

chadwick
Touched

afterglow

Post by chadwick » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:32 pm

no "afterglow" love? i love "world on fire" and "dirty little secret" the best. i really liked the vibe from this album, if that makes any sense. sarah's style was amazing... she ditched the pixie, hippy look from the surfacing era, not that i didn't like that, but she certainly looked natural in this era.

this was the era that i first saw her in concert... i saw her briefly during the 98 lilith tour.
fumbling...

lost_in_space82

Re: afterglow

Post by lost_in_space82 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:08 pm

I like Afterglow lyrically (except for Push) more than I do musically. I love World on Fire, Answer, Time and Perfect Girl but I usually skip the rest of the songs.

biancadantas
Lost

Post by biancadantas » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:10 pm

I really love Afterglow and I don't get why it's so underrated. It's different from the previous ones because it's a differente phase of Sarah's life, but it's so inspiring and, I think, dark. Although it was said on another topic it's from her happy times, I can't see this 'so called' happiness in it and we must always remember that we actually don't know what she is really going through in her personal life at a moment because she likes to keep it very private.
It really fits into my mood nowadays, because I really like sad songs. I really can't get enough of Fallen and Stupid (masterpieces IMO) and also Trainwreck, Dirty Little Secret, Answer, Time, Perfect Girl....lol. As far as you can see I'm a huge fan of this album.
'Cause I can't be the one you wanted me to be....'
Signature by Ellen

chadwick
Touched

Post by chadwick » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:25 pm

now that you mention it... it really isn't a happy album... i think too many people focus a bit much on "push." all remaining songs have dark themes.
fumbling...

jessiemonkey
Fumbling

Post by jessiemonkey » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:52 pm

chadwick wrote:now that you mention it... it really isn't a happy album... i think too many people focus a bit much on "push." all remaining songs have dark themes.

yea push is like the complete opposite of the rest of them. i like the dark theme of afterglow... fallen, stupid, and drifting i love the most.

Kaleysuncle
Drifting

Post by Kaleysuncle » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:19 pm

jessiemonkey wrote:
chadwick wrote:now that you mention it... it really isn't a happy album... i think too many people focus a bit much on "push." all remaining songs have dark themes.

yea push is like the complete opposite of the rest of them. i like the dark theme of afterglow... fallen, stupid, and drifting i love the most.
I have a deep appreciation for Drifting now. I think Time is a masterpiece. Push on the other hand... ehhhh...

In a timeless search for a love that might work... - Stevie Nicks

Quincy
Fallen

Post by Quincy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:17 am

biancadantas wrote:I really love Afterglow and I don't get why it's so underrated. It's different from the previous ones because it's a differente phase of Sarah's life,....
I have to agree, it is underated. It's more "commercial" than her previous albums, and the production is very good. "Push" has been given more than a little critisism, but as I said in a previous post to have someone sing a song for you and about you is one of the greatest gifts you could bestow on anybody. When I listen to "Stupid" I do get a sense that she is singing about her present predicament with her divorce, (No! I've not had too much of my medication again) and I'm listening for things in that song that are simply not there. If Laws of Illusion is as good as Afterglow, I'll be happy....Althought I've said that before as well.

Quincy
Fallen

Post by Quincy » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:41 pm

I bought myself a second hand copy of the 1992 "Live" EP a couple of weeks ago, without paying silly money,and I must admit I've really enjoyed listening to it. Somebody wrote a review that this wasn't as good as SMcL in the studio but I have to disagree, it is really good. I've played it in the car whilst belting up and down the motorways, and yes it doesn't sound as dynamic as it does when played at home, so it's home playing only. I normally like "Ben's song" but this version sounded just a little too slow and lethargic, but apart from that it's 10/10.
I also got a copy of "Afterglow" with the additional 4 live tracks, and yet again it's brilliant. I love "Dirty little secret" and this AOL variant is excellent. I know I downloaded the same copy from the Solaced site a few years ago but this sound improves it no end. Afterglow was the first CD I bought of Sarah's back in 2004, and DLS was the track that finally pulled me in.
Are there any other "Bonus CD" variants of Sarah's albums out there that may be worth searcing for??

Q

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:23 pm

Quincy wrote:I bought myself a second hand copy of the 1992 "Live" EP a couple of weeks ago, without paying silly money,and I must admit I've really enjoyed listening to it. Somebody wrote a review that this wasn't as good as SMcL in the studio but I have to disagree, it is really good. I've played it in the car whilst belting up and down the motorways, and yes it doesn't sound as dynamic as it does when played at home, so it's home playing only. I normally like "Ben's song" but this version sounded just a little too slow and lethargic, but apart from that it's 10/10.
I also got a copy of "Afterglow" with the additional 4 live tracks, and yet again it's brilliant. I love "Dirty little secret" and this AOL variant is excellent. I know I downloaded the same copy from the Solaced site a few years ago but this sound improves it no end. Afterglow was the first CD I bought of Sarah's back in 2004, and DLS was the track that finally pulled me in.
Are there any other "Bonus CD" variants of Sarah's albums out there that may be worth searcing for??

Q
I didn't know that there was a version of Afterglow with extra tracks! :shock:
Karine

Islandflyer
Drifting

Post by Islandflyer » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:48 pm

Karine wrote:
Quincy wrote:I bought myself a second hand copy of the 1992 "Live" EP a couple of weeks ago, without paying silly money,and I must admit I've really enjoyed listening to it. Somebody wrote a review that this wasn't as good as SMcL in the studio but I have to disagree, it is really good. I've played it in the car whilst belting up and down the motorways, and yes it doesn't sound as dynamic as it does when played at home, so it's home playing only. I normally like "Ben's song" but this version sounded just a little too slow and lethargic, but apart from that it's 10/10.

Q
I didn't know that there was a version of Afterglow with extra tracks! :shock:
I just bought a Live EP CD on eBay. I've wanted this one for a long time, and it was a good price. Even though the songs are on YouTube, it will be nice to have an original CD and the booklet too. A stocking stuffer! One excuse is as good as another. :lol: Her performance of Home on this one is one of the things that hooked me on her music when I first heard it a couple of years ago. :D
If you like the early concerts, Quincy, there are bootleg CDs of Under a Blackened Sky, Pressed Up Against the Glass and Hi in the Middle on Discogs.com. I bought all three from there.
Ed