Surfacing

Mallory

Surfacing

Post by Mallory » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:01 am

What, no love for Surfacing, yet? ;)

I might be the minority in this, but Surfacing remains my favorite Sarah album to date. It's the album that made me a fan, and I still love it as much as the first time I heard it. In fact, I can distinctly remember thinking to myself that the album was special upon hearing the opening of "I Love You," (I'd heard "BAM" tons of times on the radio by then, so it wasn't until getting to "ILY" that the gorgeousness of what I was about to hear started to hit me) and the album has grown in my affection ever since. I know that a lot of fans consider it to be a slide into more commercial territory for Sarah, but I think there is a lot of beauty and creativity woven into those songs.

Jessel
Fumbling

Re: Surfacing

Post by Jessel » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:02 am

Same here. I became an instant Sarah fan after hearing Surfacing for the first time more than a decade ago. :)
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:17 pm

I became a fan with Surfacing too, in 1997. I was 14 years old, going on 15... wow, it's been so long! :D
My favorite song from the album is Sweet Surrender: I like the beginning, the soft voice of Sarah associated with the electric guitar and the drums. I love it!
Karine

Kaleysuncle
Drifting

Post by Kaleysuncle » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:56 am

I love Surfacing too. It took me a great while to cherish certain songs like I Love You and Do What You Have to Do. I used to believe that I Love You was so bland. Once you're in an experience like that you learn to appreciate the songs you used to dislike. ;)

In a timeless search for a love that might work... - Stevie Nicks

chadwick
Touched

Post by chadwick » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:54 pm

the era of full discovery... my love for sarah wouldn't stop at just the songs played on the radio at this point... building a mystery, sweet surrender, possession, i will remember you...

it looks like sarah was really enjoying herself during this era. marriage, major success, lilith fair. she looked really cute in her hippy clothes and pixie cut! : )
fumbling...

allora

Post by allora » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:44 pm

Surfacing also remains my favorite. Whenever I listen to it, I find myself transported back to the teenage version of myself and the same emotions and feelings (some positive but most negative) I had back then reemerge. I think it's pretty amazing that music can do that to you...the same happens to me with a few other artists as well.

biancadantas
Lost

Post by biancadantas » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:33 am

I do love Surfacing era too. It was the first album I got from Sarah and it was a real pleasure when I first heard Building a Mistery, since here it wasn't played in the radio (at least I don't remember it), but I had already listened to Adia and loved it very much, and still do. This album is full of such good songs, besides the obvious BAM, Sweet Surrender, Adia, Angel, I really love Witness and specially Black & White.
'Cause I can't be the one you wanted me to be....'
Signature by Ellen

Islandflyer
Drifting

Post by Islandflyer » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:21 am

This has probably been covered before, but I was wondering if earlier versions of Surfacing had the song lyrics in the booklet with the CD. Mine doesn't. The one I have is 07822-18970-2. I bought it new in 2011. I have been wondering how accurate the song lyrics on the various lyric sites are, especially since there were so many errors in the Lyric Lounge when it started last year.

Anybody have a source for the "official" lyrics?
Ed

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:05 am

Islandflyer wrote:This has probably been covered before, but I was wondering if earlier versions of Surfacing had the song lyrics in the booklet with the CD. Mine doesn't. The one I have is 07822-18970-2. I bought it new in 2011. I have been wondering how accurate the song lyrics on the various lyric sites are, especially since there were so many errors in the Lyric Lounge when it started last year.

Anybody have a source for the "official" lyrics?
There was an official Surfacing Lyric book, but it was a limited edition. Maybe some people are selling it on Ebay.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25792805@N03/6063083391/
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81HRXNd%2B4pL.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81lDGXXQZRL.jpg
Karine

Miguel

Post by Miguel » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:55 pm

I believe the Japanese releases of Surfacing have a separate booklet containing the lyrics. But it's not the same as having the official lyric promo book, that Karine mentioned.

It's on ebay for $10. It should be an easy snag, not bad

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1997-SARAH ... 258b3ed00d

I got mine a few years ago. Nice to have.. it has some Surfacing tour and behind the scenes pics :)
My Jon McLaughlin fansite
Member of the Hacking Team