FTE

WolfmanJack

FTE

Post by WolfmanJack » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:56 pm

Probably the best that Sarah made. Not taking away from the others but pure energy and emotion was given to put this one out. Hopefully the next will surpass FTE but she may go in another direction now. I am just busting for the next.

Quincy
Fallen

Re: FTE

Post by Quincy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:42 pm

I would have to agree with you 100% on FTE. That was, by far, my favourite album. However, I don't think we'll see the likes of FTE again. I would love to see a return to her earlier musical style, but alas, idealism has given way to maturity and we have a more rounded, polished and well honed presentation which I'm still not sure is what I want to hear. Like you, I just want to hear something new and fresh. The only question is WHEN??

Q

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:47 am

It's a great album. Fumbling Towards Ecstasy (the song) is probably the most sensual tune ever written; and I confess I really like Possession (piano version) even though it speaks of a highly sensitive and taboo subject.
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...

Empirejim
Drifting

Post by Empirejim » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:22 am

Went to sleep last night while listening to this beautiful CD. Man, can't get better than that. You all know want I mean. :D

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:35 am

It's Fumbling Toward Ecstasy 20th birthday! :D :D
Sarah released this album on October 22, 1993!
Here is what she wrote on Facebook
20 years ago was the release of Fumbling Towards Ecstasy & we found some goodies in archives (my garage) that I'd love to sign & share to celebrate. One for every song --> http://www.sarahmclachlan.com/music/fum ... s-ecstasy/ Share your favourite song & why here or in the lyric lounge on my website. yea!!! xo,sarah
There are over 1800 comments, so I suppose it's a popular album among fans!
Karine

Islandflyer
Drifting

Post by Islandflyer » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:04 am

Karine wrote:It's Fumbling Toward Ecstasy 20th birthday! :D :D
Sarah released this album on October 22, 1993!
Here is what she wrote on Facebook
20 years ago was the release of Fumbling Towards Ecstasy & we found some goodies in archives (my garage) that I'd love to sign & share to celebrate. One for every song --> http://www.sarahmclachlan.com/music/fum ... s-ecstasy/ Share your favourite song & why here or in the lyric lounge on my website. yea!!! xo,sarah
There are over 1800 comments, so I suppose it's a popular album among fans!
Popular with me for sure! I've been really captured by this album, and its derivative Freedom Sessions and FTE Live, since I discovered them. She has plumbed the depths of the soul with these songs. They're certainly among her best.

I was a late arrival, but better late than never! :)

Ed
Ed

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:42 am

It's never too late! In November, it'll be Afterglow 10th anniversary. What a big year! :D
Karine

Quincy
Fallen

Post by Quincy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:49 pm

Karine wrote:It's never too late! In November, it'll be Afterglow 10th anniversary. What a big year! :D
Afterglow was the first SMcL album I bought. I can't remember now which song I'd heard on the radio from the album, but I liked it and bought it. I'd listened to Angel, (on the Santana and friends VHS), a few weeks earlier which had stuck in my mind, again, reinforcing the purchase. I had only just returned from Vancouver to see a friend on mine, his late wife having given me the 12" vinyl of Touch which started me off with SMcL. A lot had happened around the turn of the Millennium for me and for my friend and it really doesn't seem like 10 years. When I listen to Afterglow now it seems much more grown up and adult compared to her earlier work (That isn't meant to be derogatory either!)
Let's hope the new album invokes the the same feelings in another 10 years.

Q

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:48 pm

Quincy wrote:
Karine wrote:It's never too late! In November, it'll be Afterglow 10th anniversary. What a big year! :D
Afterglow was the first SMcL album I bought. I can't remember now which song I'd heard on the radio from the album, but I liked it and bought it. I'd listened to Angel, (on the Santana and friends VHS), a few weeks earlier which had stuck in my mind, again, reinforcing the purchase. I had only just returned from Vancouver to see a friend on mine, his late wife having given me the 12" vinyl of Touch which started me off with SMcL. A lot had happened around the turn of the Millennium for me and for my friend and it really doesn't seem like 10 years. When I listen to Afterglow now it seems much more grown up and adult compared to her earlier work (That isn't meant to be derogatory either!)

Q
I can't believe she wrote FTE when she was around 24 years old (and she was even younger for Solace). I agree with you, Afterglow is a more mature record. She talked a few times about how hard it was for her to write it and record it and even if the songs don't reflect the loss of her mother or her life as a new mom, I'm sure these events changed her a lot.
Karine

Islandflyer
Drifting

Post by Islandflyer » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:46 am

Karine wrote:
Quincy wrote:

Q
I can't believe she wrote FTE when she was around 24 years old (and she was even younger for Solace). I agree with you, Afterglow is a more mature record. She talked a few times about how hard it was for her to write it and record it and even if the songs don't reflect the loss of her mother or her life as a new mom, I'm sure these events changed her a lot.
It's interesting that you speak of the later records as "more mature". I have really been impressed with the depth of the songs on FTE, and I don't see more maturity in Afterglow, say, as opposed to FTE. Rather, it seems she explores in greater detail, or from a different direction, the basic themes she has written about before. Some of the songs on the former (Elsewhere, Plenty) explore the adolescent phase of life, and on Afterglow she explores issues one encounters later in life (Time, Trainwreck, etc), but I see a similar intense focus on the emotional impact and the fallout from these experiences. The "observational" songs like Ice, and perhaps Wait, seem to come from such a personal place, even though, as she said about "Ice", it was one she had never actually been in. How she can capture the experience so perfectly, with such beautiful music, is amazing. Especially at such a young age.
And then there is that sense of mystery, of unknown stories, she has evoked so well, in so many songs. I think we left out Surfacing entirely here. That's a whole other story, isn't it? :)
Ed