FTE

Karine
A change is coming

Re: FTE

Post by Karine » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:56 pm

Islandflyer wrote:It's interesting that you speak of the later records as "more mature". I have really been impressed with the depth of the songs on FTE, and I don't see more maturity in Afterglow, say, as opposed to FTE. Rather, it seems she explores in greater detail, or from a different direction, the basic themes she has written about before. Some of the songs on the former (Elsewhere, Plenty) explore the adolescent phase of life, and on Afterglow she explores issues one encounters later in life (Time, Trainwreck, etc), but I see a similar intense focus on the emotional impact and the fallout from these experiences. The "observational" songs like Ice, and perhaps Wait, seem to come from such a personal place, even though, as she said about "Ice", it was one she had never actually been in. How she can capture the experience so perfectly, with such beautiful music, is amazing. Especially at such a young age.
And then there is that sense of mystery, of unknown stories, she has evoked so well, in so many songs. I think we left out Surfacing entirely here. That's a whole other story, isn't it? :)
Yes, I find it more mature, more clear. It's hard for me to explain it in English, but I think that in Afterglow, the songs are easy to understand and less obscure. At the beginning of her career, some of her lyrics were more mysterious, like if she was hidding behind the words she sang.
To me, many of her earlier songs were some kind of masks and after Surfacing, I think it changed. Even if her songs are not autobiographical, the stories they tell are really honest.
For example, maybe the lyrics of Stupid are less poetic compared to the lyrics of Black, but they're raw and I like that.
Oh well, I don't know, I'm trying to explain how I see things, but even when I read what I wrote, I don't understand! :lol:
Karine

Islandflyer
Drifting

Post by Islandflyer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:14 am

Karine wrote:
Islandflyer wrote:It's interesting that you speak of the later records as "more mature". I have really been impressed with the depth of the songs on FTE, and I don't see more maturity in Afterglow, say, as opposed to FTE. Rather, it seems she explores in greater detail, or from a different direction, the basic themes she has written about before. Some of the songs on the former (Elsewhere, Plenty) explore the adolescent phase of life, and on Afterglow she explores issues one encounters later in life (Time, Trainwreck, etc), but I see a similar intense focus on the emotional impact and the fallout from these experiences. The "observational" songs like Ice, and perhaps Wait, seem to come from such a personal place, even though, as she said about "Ice", it was one she had never actually been in. How she can capture the experience so perfectly, with such beautiful music, is amazing. Especially at such a young age.
And then there is that sense of mystery, of unknown stories, she has evoked so well, in so many songs. I think we left out Surfacing entirely here. That's a whole other story, isn't it? :)
Yes, I find it more mature, more clear. It's hard for me to explain it in English, but I think that in Afterglow, the songs are easy to understand and less obscure. At the beginning of her career, some of her lyrics were more mysterious, like if she was hidding behind the words she sang.
To me, many of her earlier songs were some kind of masks and after Surfacing, I think it changed. Even if her songs are not autobiographical, the stories they tell are really honest.
For example, maybe the lyrics of Stupid are less poetic compared to the lyrics of Black, but they're raw and I like that.
Oh well, I don't know, I'm trying to explain how I see things, but even when I read what I wrote, I don't understand! :lol:
You have it exactly, Karine. I love the "obscurity" and secretive nature of her earlier work, but I equally love the directness and honesty of her later work. Stupid is a perfect example, as is Trainwreck. The former is brutally honest, and the latter is poetically descriptive, but still the image (and sound) of the receding train evoke the loss and sadness so perfectly. This is one of the songs that I prefer the album version to the live one; even though the energy of the live performance is so great, the haunting quality of that train disappearing into the distance is so lovely to hear. The metaphor of the train to the wrecked relationship is just right. This is art.

You mentioned Black. I noticed that she took the time to ask the audience to imagine a greedy capitalist when she played it for "Pressed Up Against the Glass", so maybe the image was too hard for people to comprehend, and she felt they needed some help. :D

"Backdoor Man" is another song along that line, where poetry may somewhat obscure the meaning. There seem to be several to be taken from that one. I think that may have been her intent; to hold up a poem for the audience to decipher as it will. What might seem an obvious meaning might seem less so if one reads carefully. I love this aspect of her music, which is one reason the earlier songs are so appealing. They keep one's curiosity up.

Isn't Sweet Surrender in that category as well? Many scenarios are possible with that one.

Ed
Ed

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:37 pm

A quick fact about one of the music video for Possession:
The Orpheum stage in Vancouver is Sarah McLachlan’s second home.
It’s a stage she regularly visits, and one she immortalized in one of two music videos for her song Possession, a cornerstone of her 1993 album Fumbling Towards Ecstasy.
http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainme ... z3GKYSjDtE
Karine

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:40 am

A recent review of FTE. It's interesting:
https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/sa ... s-ecstasy/
McLachlan had grown self-conscious about her previous two albums, considering them either too amateurish or rigid in their writing and production. Her debut, Touch, consisted of the first songs she’d ever written; in lieu of any personal experience, she adapted her lyrics largely from the material of her dreams. Her second album, Solace, expressed a confusion and displacement she associated very specifically with her early twenties, a “mourning of [her] lost innocence,” as she told Hot Press in 1994. So she settled herself within the vastness of the mountains of Quebec longing for a kind of self-annihilating perspective—to get close to herself by getting as far away from her life as possible.
Karine

Luus81
Touched

Post by Luus81 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:16 pm

FTE is by far my favorite Sarah album. I have the Legacy Edition in my collection.

I like the whole album, but my favorite songs are: Possession (both original and Piano Version), Good Enough, Wait, Mary, Ice, Ice Cream and Circle.

I like the original version of Fear, but I love the live versions. So when I want to hear Fear, I go for the live version on Mirrorball or Afterglow DVD.

It's great that the Legacy Edition includes an extra CD with other versions of the songs. It also gives you an idea of ​​how songs could be done differently than the album versions. Sarah is very talented. I like her style. She also has the ability to do something different with her songs because she can play the piano and guitar. FTE and Freedom Sessions prove that. I like that.
You're so beautiful with an edge and charm
But so careful when I'm in your arms

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:24 am

I don't know why, but I tend to listen to the same songs (probably because I've added them to my personal playlists and I keep playing them on my computer or in the house). Then, once in a while, I listen to a whole album and that's when I rediscover the "forgotten gems", like Circle :)
Karine