The demos from this time period

RiverOfLove
Fallen

The demos from this time period

Post by RiverOfLove » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:13 am

I just recently discovered that Sarah recorded about 7 demos from the Touch/Solace period. All of them are fantastic, and even though I'm sure that Sarah wasn't happy that they leaked out, I definitely am!

Some of these are just as good, if not better, than the studio tracks! The songs that I'm talking about are:

Here Lies My Heart
Madness
Temptation
The Waiting (Won't Let Anything)
Forever Someday
Captive
What Lies Beyond (Two Birds Flying)

This is enough to make up a full studio album, if she added on a couple more tracks! It makes me wonder what else is lurking in her vault, that she's recorded but hasn't released.

Oh, and Temptation is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard. Shame it didn't make an album.

Times seen Sarah Live:
November 10th, 2010, Taft Theater, Cincinnati OH
July 11th, 2014, PNC Pavillion, Cincinnati OH

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Jessel
Fumbling

Re: The demos from this time period

Post by Jessel » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:41 pm

RiverOfLove wrote:It makes me wonder what else is lurking in her vault, that she's recorded but hasn't released.
According to what's written on one of Jeff's cassette tapes in Sarah's own handwriting, there are 2 more unreleased songs dating from the Solace era: All I Can Do & And In Vain. They're not included in the demo tape handed out to Jeff though...

What intrigues me most are the early versions of FTE material, or even "demos" assuming they exist. I'm acquainted with someone who recorded Sarah's first known post-Solace gig in '93 (which according to him is basically early FTE including some Joni Mitchell covers) but the guy is pretty much preoccupied right now, which means the recording remains uncirculated. I'll keep bugging him though hehe. :P
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...

RiverOfLove
Fallen

Post by RiverOfLove » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:34 pm

If you do manage to get a copy of some FTE early demos, please hook me up! I'd love to hear something like that. :)

Times seen Sarah Live:
November 10th, 2010, Taft Theater, Cincinnati OH
July 11th, 2014, PNC Pavillion, Cincinnati OH

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant." - Robert Louis Stevenson

hanzo

Post by hanzo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:33 pm

can anyone link me to this demos? sounds pretty cool, ive heard all the songs except for 'madness'. not sure if ive heard demo versions. thanks

Quincy
Fallen

Post by Quincy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:29 pm

It's still me again,

Question....What was the first song that SMcl wrote? I vaguely remember reading it was something from the Surfacing. Is that correct?

Q

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:59 am

Good question, I really don't know! :?
Karine

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Sun May 05, 2013 6:14 pm

It isn't a demo, but it's from Solace era.
On April 11th, 2013, on the official Tumblr of Moutain Stage, they put Shelter live (December 1991):
Sarah McLachlan’s first nationally broadcast performance in America was on Mountain Stage 22 years ago. Because it’s Throwback Thursday and Public Radio Music Month, we’re posting it here for your listening pleasure. Recorded live with the Mountain Stage house band on December 8th, 1991.
http://mountainstage.tumblr.com/post/47 ... -broadcast
Karine

Islandflyer
Drifting

Post by Islandflyer » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:48 am

Not sure where stuff like this goes, but while looking at the pictures for her gig at Harpos, in Victoria, B.C. in 1991, I saw this nice description of how Sarah "solved the "problem" of songwriting for Solace. It's fascinating that the lyrics she thinks of as the "equation" for reaching the "solution". There's a bunch of interesting material in the zip file I got from Ellen for this show. I reviewed it several months ago in the live shows section, but I I don't recall seeing this one.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=838&p=8061&hilit=harpos#p8061

Ed

Miguel

Post by Miguel » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:33 am

Quincy wrote:It's still me again,

Question....What was the first song that SMcl wrote? I vaguely remember reading it was something from the Surfacing. Is that correct?

Q
Hey Q, I know it's been a year since you asked, but the first song she ever wrote was the very first song from her very first album lol ;)

She said this about "Out of the Shadows" on the 'iTunes Originals' compilation release
"I basically went from busking on the street corners with my guitar and occasionally playing a gig in a local band to writing my first song.

The reason I wrote my first song is because I actually got a record company contract put in front of me and they said 'Let's see what you can come up with on your own', and of course I've been playing for years but I've never sort of had the drive to completely write my own thing. I was very happy doing other people's songs. This was sort of the push I needed, I've had lots of musical ideas but needed the focus to put them down on paper.

Mark Jowett, who was actually the guy that signed me from Nettwerk Records, came out to Halifax and he sat with me, in my bedroom, had an 8-track and sort of forced me to put all these ideas down and Out of the Shadows came out that.

I was reading a Jerzy Kosinski novel called "The Painted Bird" that song came out of that story, of this little boy in war-torn Europe and facing life alone and being terrified, running and hiding. It's just sort of that emotional place of being left alone and trying to find your way."
My Jon McLaughlin fansite
Member of the Hacking Team

Quincy
Fallen

Post by Quincy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:29 pm

Miguel wrote:
Quincy wrote:It's still me again,

Q
Hey Q, I know it's been a year since you asked, but the first song she ever wrote was the very first song from her very first album lol ;)

She said this about "Out of the Shadows" on the 'iTunes Originals' compilation release."
Many thanks for that Miguel!
That's a little spookey, because I was off earlier this week ill with "Man Flu", (Yes ladies, Man Flu does exist!!).
I read some of the posts, many of which I'd not spotted, and I found my question. I was a little surprised that nobody had answered it.
I do remember though, reading something along the lines of SMcL's "...first song appeared on her second album." Which I thought was a little odd.
The info which you've transcribed, was this on the sleeve notes of the iTunes originals? Again the reason I ask is that many of tracks have been "polished up" a little and the quality is much improved. If that is the case I'll buy the iTunes CD for the car. (I've a 6CD player in this car, very posh!!)

Once again thanks....and it's nice to hear from you again!!

Quincy