Re: The Laws of Illusion (New Album)

Post by biancadantas » Tue May 25, 2010 4:21 am

Cool video!
'Cause I can't be the one you wanted me to be....'
Signature by Ellen

OzFumbler

Post by OzFumbler » Tue May 25, 2010 6:25 am

I love the title - i think it is very Sarah indeed.

Its true though - all the bullshit we're fed from day one - the perfect partner, the perfect house,
children, big white wedding, all that...its all shit...all of it...hate to say it but its true. Yes its
fun but in the end it all comes down to whether you're happy or not. All of these things are an Illusion - forced
upon you by someone else who wants to sell things....whether its Dolce & Gabbana or whatever, we're
taught to desire things we dont really need. Maybe Sarah is saying why can't we just be? be ourselves?
why do we need all this shit? If you're single does it mean you're a failure because you havent found
the right person, or because you're not good enough to be perfect - to be perfect in a perfect world?
To be married does this mean your life is complete? To have children is this the answer to happiness?
Ever been to a small pacific island? the people there are dirt poor, but god you can't see larger smiles
because they have all they need anyway. Those guys have it figured out. All they do is swim, fish and
sing, pretty darn cool existance if you ask me.

I think the title is one of a totally liberated woman, who had the perfect life, big house, lots of money,
dream husband, 2 kids, and perhaps one day woke up and said "y'know what? it is an illusion...it aint all that..."
and now she's free to live as she pleases.....hear her words.... " I am alive, and I'm on fire"...

Valentines Day is to sell greeting cards - why do you need a special day to say I love you? can't you just say it anyway?

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Tue May 25, 2010 6:58 am

^^ Post of the day Oz!! Yeah, I think you're right, the album is probably the story of Sarah's transformation from a self-obsessed woman (hey, we've all been there before btw) to a wise old crone (*figurative*). :D

I agree with basically everything you said. Being 'unconventional' since day one, I grew up defying stereotypes. I just find it sad that most people do things for all the wrong reasons. People marry and pop out kids because society expects them to do so upon reaching a certain age, looking for love in all the wrong places, and spending/wasting the rest of one's life trying to find one's soulmate and expecting the person to take care of you... oh for Dog's sake! I could go on and on about this but really it's not worth the bandwidth. All I'm trying to say is if you wanna do all those things society (or more accurately, pop culture) expects from you then great, just make sure you're doing it because you WANT it, not because it's expected of you. But honestly, it's not worth it.

And yes, I'm single because I'm a lifelong introvert who derives zest for life from within, not from without (and certainly not from a "soulmate"). I love every single day of being a lifelong bachelor btw, and looking forward to more years of being one. My rant for the day hehe.. :lol:
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...

OzFumbler

Post by OzFumbler » Tue May 25, 2010 11:11 am

Im with you there man!

PS: Love that Kate Bush song lyric on your signature - I think The Red Shoes is her most underrated record - i remember when it came out the critics just panned it completely - i was like - are you serious? are you listening to the same record I just did? That record had Eric Clapton and Prince on there for g*dssake!! lol

"And So Is Love" is one of my all time K. Bush songs, next to "And Dream Of Sheep" and oh hell, pretty much all of Hounds Of Love (my fave)

Miguel

Post by Miguel » Wed May 26, 2010 2:20 am

Another new video is up, this time "Rivers of Love"
http://www.sarahmclachlan.com/us/news/s ... ivers-love

Sarah looks so sad in these clips, it depresses me :cry: It mustn't be too easy for her to talk about these tracks
My Jon McLaughlin fansite
Member of the Hacking Team

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Wed May 26, 2010 4:48 am

^Thanks for the heads up. I completely agree with what she said. I have this weird feeling that Rivers of Love is going to be my favorite track. ;)

@Oz
I love the Red Shoes! It's a great album and it's one of my favorites. I really don't understand why it's so underrated. Sarah's new album can be compared to TRS in a lot of ways. Both are written at a time when the artists are going through a major transition in their respective lives.
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...

biancadantas
Lost

Post by biancadantas » Wed May 26, 2010 6:03 am

It's so good to see Sarah's face on iTunes :D
http://twitpic.com/1r1z95

(Note: iTunes doesn't sell music in Brazil... :shock: )
Signature by Ellen

biancadantas
Lost

Post by biancadantas » Wed May 26, 2010 6:07 am

Miguel wrote:Another new video is up, this time "Rivers of Love"
http://www.sarahmclachlan.com/us/news/s ... ivers-love

Sarah looks so sad in these clips, it depresses me :cry: It mustn't be too easy for her to talk about these tracks
It's true, she looks sad, it's always sad to talk about relationships that failed. I hope she feels better now....

Besides that I like to hear she talking about the motivation for her songs....
Signature by Ellen

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Wed May 26, 2010 9:24 am

Oh, this song really sounds good! :) It's so hard to wait for the release!
Karine

Kaleysuncle
Drifting

Post by Kaleysuncle » Wed May 26, 2010 10:43 pm

Sarah discussing Love Come:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/pla ... 7289385001

She mentions that she wrote the song years ago for a movie and it didn't work out. Really makes you wonder!

In a timeless search for a love that might work... - Stevie Nicks