7- Changes
8- Love Come
9- Heartbreak
Karine

TheSquirrel
Full Of Grace

Re: Rank the Songs

Post by TheSquirrel » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:54 am

1. Out Of Tune. One of my all time favourite McLachlan songs. I was almost surprsied she can still write something this good.
2. Awakenings. As above. Still love it. Shame she doesn't do more of this. So frustrating.
3. Illusions of Bliss.
4. Heartbreak. Not unusual that I'm out of tune with this board for liking this. I should hate it, but I don't. Guilty as charged. I should throw rotten tomatoes at myself.
5. Love Come. This is the full, not the acoustice version, which I don't like very much.
6. The rest. Not worth wasting time over listing the rest. Still sounds awful to me. Afterglow outtakes or Rarities And B Sides 3 is closer to how I view this album. Good, but by her standards it's enough to convince me she'll never do anything even close to her vintage years ever again.

In my opinion she has lost that edge, which is a real shame, but there will be enough young girls out there to buy her music. I would just love to know how she really views this album. Not the usual bullshit, but how she really thinks about the strength of these songs compared to previous work. For me, it's still just under half an album of exceptional material, but I notice there is a lot of disagreement over favourite tracks. I think the young girls may like this style more than the older fans. She comes so frustratingly close to the old brilliance at times, on this album. Sounds silly in a way, but maybe the album was rushed or someone rushed her.
I'm an opinionated old tosser and proud of it.

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:11 am

TheSquirrel wrote:She comes so frustratingly close to the old brilliance at times, on this album.
i agree with this. There are a few moments when she became so close esp. in Rivers of Love.

TheSquirrel wrote:4. Heartbreak. Not unusual that I'm out of tune with this board for liking this. I should hate it, but I don't. Guilty as charged. I should throw rotten tomatoes at myself.
Time for you to take some meds lol! That song is SO LAME Lady Gaga probably wish she wrote it. :lol:
Anyway, I'm as guilty as you since I enjoyed it (in the fun sense) a couple of times when the album is quite new.
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...

TheSquirrel
Full Of Grace

Post by TheSquirrel » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:44 pm

Jessel wrote:
TheSquirrel wrote:4. Heartbreak. Not unusual that I'm out of tune with this board for liking this. I should hate it, but I don't. Guilty as charged. I should throw rotten tomatoes at myself.
Time for you to take some meds lol! That song is SO LAME Lady Gaga probably wish she wrote it. :lol:
Anyway, I'm as guilty as you since I enjoyed it (in the fun sense) a couple of times when the album is quite new.
Yeah I know. All the reasons why I hate Loving You Is Easy apply to this one, but somehow I like it. The edge is gone though. Is it us or her? Maybe it's okay to listen to an okay McLachlan album. Miguel's suggestion of re arranging the tracks may make it seem better. Strangely enough if I get to see her live, I want to hear some of the new songs. Sometimes you get it when you hear them live. Fear is one of those which is transformed with a live band.

If she were Elvis Presley she would be going through the fat stage. In other words I think that innovative brilliance is gone. There are only so many songs in one person. My favourite five albums of all time are Mclachlan's. I must have heard some of those songs well over 1000 times given the various forms I have heard them in. This album I have only played about twelve times at most. It isn't in my top fifty of all time. Big difference.
I'm an opinionated old tosser and proud of it.

Quincy
Fallen

Post by Quincy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:01 pm

TheSquirrel wrote: 5. Love Come. This is the full, not the acoustice version, which I don't like very much.

I'm Suprised, I'd have thought that you'd have put it the other way around!!

In my opinion she has lost that edge, which is a real shame

I've thought that all along. It's like a rock that's been thrown into a river. it gets carried downstream, gets knocked around and as time goes by it loses the sharp edges and gets a little smoother, more polished. It's life! (How many times have I used the Polished adjective now??)

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:15 pm

TheSquirrel wrote:If she were Elvis Presley she would be going through the fat stage. In other words I think that innovative brilliance is gone. There are only so many songs in one person.
Quincy wrote:It's like a rock that's been thrown into a river. it gets carried downstream, gets knocked around and as time goes by it loses the sharp edges and gets a little smoother, more polished. It's life!

You both described it perfectly. It's fun to compare both the positive (Quincy) and negative (Squirrel) ways of looking at it. I think Sarah is undergoing what I'd politely call the Joni Mitchell syndrome (yeah I know, the lady's a freaking musical genius but there's just no denying the terrible decline, right?). There is very little to zero correlation between brilliant artists and fine wine. Sometimes the creativity just leaves you. I can only think of 2 artists alive who still kick major ass: Tina Turner and Grace Jones at 71 and 62 respectively.

But I'm still not giving up on Sarah though, and I probably won't. God, she belongs to that last generation of brilliant singer-songwriters to ever grace the music industry and I basically lived almost half of my entire life listening to her lol.
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...