LOI Album Thoughts/Opinions

TheSquirrel
Full Of Grace

Re: LOI Album Thoughts/Opinions

Post by TheSquirrel » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:17 pm

Thanks for the comments Jessel, Lost In Space, and others. Nice to know not everyone hates me, but I am going to keep my big mouth shut for a while.
I'm an opinionated old tosser and proud of it.

allora

Post by allora » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:02 pm

TheSquirrel wrote:Thanks for the comments Jessel, Lost In Space, and others. Nice to know not everyone hates me, but I am going to keep my big mouth shut for a while.
Why keep your mouth shut? Keep it open, it keeps things on this post interesting :)

That said, I initially said that I still think Sarah has emotion. And I think she does - however, I do want to say that I don't connect with LOI as well as Surfacing (for example). LOI's songs were very powerful when she performed them at Lilith last weekend but listening to the recorded album doesn't get me as emotional as the very same songs did live. I can't explain why, but this did not happen for me with the other albums - it's a first for me. Anyone else feel the same?

Quincy
Fallen

Post by Quincy » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:50 pm

Mooncrown wrote:I don't hear her voice as weakened-matured yes, but definately not weaker..
I'm not sure what you're saying with the opening sentence??

Quincy
Fallen

Post by Quincy » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:15 pm

TheSquirrel wrote:
That sums up what I feel. It's why I went back to listening to some older stuff to see if it's me. It still sounds good to my heart and ears. For me there is something missing with the present McLachlan, whoever she is. The latest album is my least favourite McLachlan. Very good, but not by her standards and my taste. Maybe it's just taste, but for me something is missing in her voice, her writing, and her attitude.

As a late edit I would add maybe the Forgiveness track is a perfect example of what I consider to be wrong. I have said it before, and admittedly no one has agreed with me, but I don't like it. I don't like it because although it is a lovely melody and well produced, it seems to be full of hate.
Excellent post. And more or less I agree with many of your observations. I don't hate forgiveness, in fact I think it's good, but now you point it out, yes, it is hateful. I still think that those of you who, lets say are "wary" of push, are still missing the point. At that moment in time it was appropriate and right, events have shown us since then that is not the case. We don't know how she was mentally or psychologically after starting their family but in my experience thing can be "difficult" at that point in a relationship. Push and Forgiveness are opposite sides of the coin. We don't know the reasons for the breakup of their marriage and I doubt we ever will, so I suppose being judgemental should be left to one side for now

LOI could do with a little more of a smiley side but I'm sure we all knew what to expect. Finally, yes there is something missing in her being, it's intangible, but it's still there.

As my son & wife keep telling me (And lots of other people for some reason), I'm at a difficult age and being grumpy is the outward symptom. I'm sure that Squirrel is in the same boat. So please be kind to us. You'll all be old some day (hopefully!!)

Q

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:41 am

Quincy wrote:
As my son & wife keep telling me (And lots of other people for some reason), I'm at a difficult age and being grumpy is the outward symptom. I'm sure that Squirrel is in the same boat. So please be kind to us. You'll all be old some day (hopefully!!)
LOL!
Same here, those 'outward symptoms' are starting to manifest at the tender... (well who am I kidding? lol)... okay grand age of 29 but thankfully I'm still in control most of the time. Being grumpy ages one horribly lol.

Quincy wrote:We don't know the reasons for the breakup of their marriage and I doubt we ever will, so I suppose being judgemental should be left to one side for now...
I'll hazard a not-so-intelligent guess that it has something to do with them both having mid-life crises... ;) :P
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...

biancadantas
Lost

Post by biancadantas » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:28 am

Quincy wrote: We don't know the reasons for the breakup of their marriage and I doubt we ever will, so I suppose being judgemental should be left to one side for now
I think you really said the right thing now and I totally agree. We'll never know what happened and then we can't judge neither her nor Ash for anything. A relationship can be very difficult sometimes and when it comes to an end, it makes the involved really sensitive and we tend to try to make the other looks like villain, but it's not always true....
'Cause I can't be the one you wanted me to be....'
Signature by Ellen

chadwick
Touched

Post by chadwick » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:03 pm

i don't hear a change in sarah's voice... it is still magnificent and i also see the emotion... i gathered this from listening to the live acoustic DVD that came with the deluxe version of LOI... especially "illusions of bliss."

while i have enjoyed LOI, i do feel it slipping away aside from a few songs that i have in my gym mix. in my opinion, the record really doesn't have a lot of staying power. when i listen to it in the car and UWM2 and DGUOU come on... i immediately think, "oh the disk changed." i understand that these two songs fit the theme of the record but i can't help but get a little annoyed because they are two years old.

i really need to see sarah live so i can get excited about LOI again... i remember buying "afterglow" in november 03 and seeing her live that summer... the live DVD/CD surfaced in fall 04... and bam, saw her live again in summer 05. it was amazing!!! sarah really extended the publicity of "afterglow," which made it a wonderful experience for the fans. i'm really hoping sarah doesn't end her promotion of LOI after lilith.
fumbling...

Quincy
Fallen

Post by Quincy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:39 pm

Jessel wrote:
Quincy wrote:

LOL!
Same here, those 'outward symptoms' are starting to manifest at the tender... (well who am I kidding? lol)... okay grand age of 29 ) :P
29.....29!! I've got a son who's just over 2 years younger than you....29's not old :)

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:31 am

Quincy wrote:29.....29!! I've got a son who's just over 2 years younger than you....29's not old :)
Bless you! :)
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...

Pollyanna

Post by Pollyanna » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:29 pm

About Forgiveness - don't forget this is one of the songs she co-wrote with Pierre Marchand. She said on the DVD that Pierre helper her a lot with the lyrics, I think when she talked about Rivers Of Love she said he came up with most of the lyrics (something I don't like btw - it seems always weird to me if an artist sings lyrics he or she hasn't written). So maybe it's the same with Forgiveness and at least parts of the lyrics were Pierre's idea and she just kept them because she liked the mood they created and not because she would say exactly that about Ash...