LOI Album Thoughts/Opinions

allora

Re: LOI Album Thoughts/Opinions

Post by allora » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:42 pm

Kaleysuncle wrote:I do agree with you on the emotion thing. I can't stand the way she sings "a beautiful fucked up man" now with a did-I-really-just-sing-that kind of grin... It completely ruins the whole thing for me.
I don't agree on the emotion thing, I think she's still got it. That said, I do agree about the "beautiful fucked up man" smile...it's a shame. I wonder why she makes that grin while singing it? Maybe she's just sang it too many times or something...

Sweetfear
Building A Mystery

Post by Sweetfear » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:54 am

I know she is getting older and all and i tottaly understand the fact that by that her voice is getting abit worse.
You ll have to agree with me on this one - the fact that as a fan you feel like making comparisons etc.
I love Sarah , i listen to all of her stuff and i really cannot imagine my life without her 'sounds' but i kinda miss that joyful Sarah that would make my heart mealt with her voice. She does on "Love Come" - i admit that! :D

I m not being mean / horrible or anything and i m sure you all understand that. I just feel like Sarah's not there anymore... :(
Tangled up in our embrace
There's nothing I'd like better than to fall

TheSquirrel
Full Of Grace

Post by TheSquirrel » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:06 pm

Sweetfear wrote:I know she is getting older and all and i tottaly understand the fact that by that her voice is getting abit worse.
You ll have to agree with me on this one - the fact that as a fan you feel like making comparisons etc.
I love Sarah , i listen to all of her stuff and i really cannot imagine my life without her 'sounds' but i kinda miss that joyful Sarah that would make my heart mealt with her voice. She does on "Love Come" - i admit that! :D

I m not being mean / horrible or anything and i m sure you all understand that. I just feel like Sarah's not there anymore... :(
That sums up what I feel. It's why I went back to listening to some older stuff to see if it's me. It still sounds good to my heart and ears. For me there is something missing with the present McLachlan, whoever she is. The latest album is my least favourite McLachlan. Very good, but not by her standards and my taste. Maybe it's just taste, but for me something is missing in her voice, her writing, and her attitude.

As a late edit I would add maybe the Forgiveness track is a perfect example of what I consider to be wrong. I have said it before, and admittedly no one has agreed with me, but I don't like it. I don't like it because although it is a lovely melody and well produced, it seems to be full of hate. She has never done hate very well. I have said how can it be about Ash when she spent every night of the last tour telling everyone how he was the greatest partner ever, who stood by her when everyone else would have given up on her and deserted her? He stood by her when she was at her most awkward and causing all sorts of problems. This is what she said before singing Push. Every night. Okay that's fine, but to then turn around and do a track like Forgivenesss is pushing it a little in my opinion. It makes her look dishonest or full of hate and anger. I suppose you could say it's honest emotion, but it looks like a quick fix of putting the boot in and venting some rage. She has often said her best writing comes from letting things settle for a few years and then writing about them. not writing about them straight away.

Maybe she did the album for reasons other than her usual ones. Maybe she was pushed into it, or did it because she felt she had to keep in the public eye. Maybe that's why she did Lilith too. Then maybe she felt the need to even a few scores with Ash, vent some hate and rage, or prove something to him and to others. Business and personal reasons combined to produce the album, but not artistic ones.

I suppose every forum has someone they all hate, who is always crititcal. I guess that is me. I am being over critical, but I am judging her by her own standards, and maybe unfairly by my own opinion and taste. I look at her eyes now and do not like what I see. I don't trust her any more, or her motives, and I don't like her. Is that because I play poker, and I'm putting too much on an incorrect read? Could be. I would still be first in the queue for live concerts though. The voice to me is weaker. She can't help that, it's age. She has looked after herself better than most. it's a shame she was at home rather than out singing when that glorious voice was at its peak. I'd have happily gone to a concert every night for a year just to listen to that voice. To me now, it's just not the same.
I'm an opinionated old tosser and proud of it.

lost_in_space82

Post by lost_in_space82 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:51 pm

TheSquirrel wrote:
I suppose every forum has someone they all hate, who is always crititcal. I guess that is me.
I certainly don't hate you. I value your opinions and I appreciate the fact that you're not the type of Sarah fan who loves every single thing she says/does. I have kept most of my opinions of Sarah to myself because if I were to unleash them I am sure I'd be the most hated person here. :)

Crazylitstudent
Drifting

Post by Crazylitstudent » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:40 pm

Jessel wrote: If you watch her performance of Fumbling in the FTE LIve DVD again (and this was recorded in '95 if I'm not mistaken), you'll agree that it's one of her weakest performances of that song.
Its actually one of my favourite performances of the song (I love everything on that concert recording) but I can see why you might think its pretty weak.

@ Squirrel: I certainly don't hate you and I don't think anyone on here does. We are all entilted to our opinions and it's good that you feel comfortable to express them. And hey I don't love every single thing about Sarah, I really hate the amount of remixes and rehashed marterial she puts out and a few other things that annoy me. But the music touched me and its the music thats importaint!

Miguel

Post by Miguel » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:30 pm

TheSquirrel wrote:
I have said it before, and admittedly no one has agreed with me, but I don't like it. I don't like it because although it is a lovely melody and well produced, it seems to be full of hate.
It's a coincidence that I was just listening to that song full of HATE when I checked the new replies on this thread

I'll just say that Sarah has said the song is not about Ash. If you want to believe her or not, I don't care. I'll leave it at that ;)
My Jon McLaughlin fansite
Member of the Hacking Team

Kaleysuncle
Drifting

Post by Kaleysuncle » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:45 pm

Squirrely dear, what drugs did you take before that post? :P I'm just kidding of course, my friend. ;)

Here's just a few things I've learned about Laws of Illusion:

1) Sarah released it because she felt she had "something to say".

2) Sarah has mentioned she's not the only one who was going through a divorce during this time. Her friends were as awell. As we know, not everything is about Sarah. (Adia = Sarah's friend Crystal; Plenty = Dave Kershaw?)

3) Sarah doesn't feel the need to write in circles of poetry anymore. She can be blunt. I think that is what we miss on this record, right? :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sarah does hate very well, at least for me. Just look at songs like Plenty, Dear God, and Stupid. Plenty and Stupid are very bitchy songs. Awakenings for me is kind of like Dear God all over again. It's intense.

I also honestly believe she started Lilith again just so she can tour this summer since her children are out of school. Which is perfectly understandable for me. I couldn't imagine what it must be like traveling all the time as a child and missing out on what other "normal" kids are doing.

I certainly don't hate you Sqiurriely. We sure have our bickers, and that keeps things interesting right? :)

;)

In a timeless search for a love that might work... - Stevie Nicks

TheSquirrel
Full Of Grace

Post by TheSquirrel » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:18 am

I'm going to waffle on again. Can't help myself. Everyone makes very good points, and I am trying not to be too negative. It's good to hear opinions of fans, whether they agree with me or not. Maybe it's me that's missing something but the new album leaves me cold. The first McLachlan album to do that. I love some of the songs and dislike others, but I'ver heard it about 8 times and I can't see myself listening much more. FTE listened to 500 times plus.

Miguel is genrally right and I am generally wrong. It is good to hear the news about her saying Forgiveness is not about Ash. I still don't like the song but I am just pleased to hear it isn't directed towards Ash. Awakenings appears to be the same thing. The reason I love that but don't like Forgiveness is because it is angry and aggressive but has the music and application to blast out the emotion. That's probably the reason, or maybe it is just personal taste again.

I agree with Caleb about Plenty and Stupid to a certain extent, but for me Plenty sounds desperate and sad. Stupid sounds angry, but like Awakenings it has the oomph to deliver the lyrics. Not sure they are hateful, and maybe I am wrong about Forgiveness, but it sounds to me the most hateful, vitriolic and angry song she has done. As always it is just my opinion. I realise this, but for the life of me I can't work out what I find is missing in her music recently.

I think Caleb is right when he talks about her being more blunt. I would just love it if she belted it out though rather than dress it up in middle of the road simpering like on Forgiveness. Awakenings I love for the reason she belts it out. Forgiveness is hate dressed up as beauty. I wish she had gone the whole hog, changed direction and used the rocky style of Awakenings to deliver her new style of blunt lyrics. Just my taste again.

I have always agreed with Ben about the 1995 dvd/video being just about the best thing I have ever heard. I originally bought the video, then another two because I wore out the first one. Played it about 200 times in a year. 80 times in 3 months. Virtually every night. The whole neighbourhood should know all the lyrics by now, which qualifies me as the neighbour from hell. Finally got the dvd. For me it contains just about my favourite version of every song on there. I try to remember how good that is, but at the moment the current bunch of songs just isn't doing it for me, and I don't know why. Sweetfear summed up how I feel, and I have to admit it's good to hear someone else express that, so that I'm not the only one out there saying those things.

Trying not to be too negative. My point on another thread got misinterpreted as far as I am concerned. It's about not being able to change your nature. I have always been pessimistic, negative, and critical. I do agree with what everyone else says because they are all good and valid points of view.

On the plus side we do have a new McLachlan album and some of the tracks are crackers. Hope we get to see her in the UK. For me something is missing, but if she toured I would be chasing tickets for every concert, and not be able to rest until they were in my hands.

Will try and not comment any further for a few weeks.
I'm an opinionated old tosser and proud of it.

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:53 am

TheSquirrel wrote:Maybe that's why she did Lilith too. Then maybe she felt the need to even a few scores with Ash, vent some hate and rage, or prove something to him and to others...
I suppose every forum has someone they all hate, who is always crititcal. I guess that is me...
TheSquirrel wrote:I originally bought the video, then another two because I wore out the first one. Played it about 200 times in a year. 80 times in 3 months. Virtually every night. The whole neighbourhood should know all the lyrics by now, which qualifies me as the neighbour from hell.
Posts like these make me belly laugh! :lol:
You're a breath of fresh air Squirrel, always has been.
TheSquirrel wrote: I don't trust her any more, or her motives, and I don't like her...
... but seriously, it has been more than 2 years since that demo incident. Haven't you moved on yet? ;) :P

About Forgiveness, well I like the song a lot, love the arrangement, but the theme is just meh...
And you ask for forgiveness, you're asking too much
I have sheltered my heart in a place you can't touch
Don't believe when you tell me you're love is real...

That's simply too much for my eccentric Taurean sensibilities lol. *shivers of yuck*
But anyone who's been in that situation can flame me.
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...

Danyy
Full Of Grace

Post by Danyy » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:26 am

TheSquirrel wrote:I agree with Caleb about Plenty and Stupid to a certain extent, but for me Plenty sounds desperate and sad. Stupid sounds angry, but like Awakenings it has the oomph to deliver the lyrics. Not sure they are hateful, and maybe I am wrong about Forgiveness, but it sounds to me the most hateful, vitriolic and angry song she has done. As always it is just my opinion. I realise this, but for the life of me I can't work out what I find is missing in her music recently.
I have to agree with you on this one, I also feel that Forgiveness is (lyrically) the most hateful song Sarah has written, but it's disguised under it's beautiful, soothing melody, so we don't notice the rage and anger as much as we do on Awakenings. I still love the song, but we can't really fight over personnal tastes (we're all entitled to have and express ours).

By the way, I don't think anybody here hates you Squirrel, I know I don't ;)
Carla

Signature and avatar by Ellen