LOI Album Thoughts/Opinions

Kaleysuncle
Drifting

Re: LOI Album Thoughts/Opinions

Post by Kaleysuncle » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:19 pm

lost_in_space82 wrote:
TheSquirrel wrote:Her voice is so amazing, if you love music, it seems like a tragic loss of one of the greatest experiences on the planet.
I think her voice sounds as amazing as ever on the album but the same can't be said for her singing on the Lilith tour. I had to give up listening to her Starbucks performance because her voice was just awful. :(
Have you not watched one video on Youtube? Especially Possession? The end note gets better with each performance. She's mastered it on this tour. Sarah and her band have been extremely playful on this tour. They're having a blast. I love the new arrangements and Matt's drums.

As for her Starbucks performance, Sarah stated when she sat down on her bench that she was sick. So with that being said I believe that "awful" is harsh and uncalled for. :)

In a timeless search for a love that might work... - Stevie Nicks

Miguel

Post by Miguel » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:33 pm

Lostinspace, have you been to a Lilith show already and listened first-hand? Like Caleb said, there's dozens of Youtube videos out there and she's still capable of singing flawlessly. I don't think it's fair that you're judging her Lilith performances based on the Starbucks one. Sarah said she was sick that day, probably why it ended early. She was set to do more songs
My Jon McLaughlin fansite
Member of the Hacking Team

lost_in_space82

Post by lost_in_space82 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:37 pm

Miguel wrote:Sarah said she was sick that day, probably why it ended early. She was set to do more songs
You got me. ;) I forgot she said she was sick.

lost_in_space82

Post by lost_in_space82 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:39 pm

Kaleysuncle wrote:
lost_in_space82 wrote:
TheSquirrel wrote:Her voice is so amazing, if you love music, it seems like a tragic loss of one of the greatest experiences on the planet.
I think her voice sounds as amazing as ever on the album but the same can't be said for her singing on the Lilith tour. I had to give up listening to her Starbucks performance because her voice was just awful. :(
Have you not watched one video on Youtube? Especially Possession? The end note gets better with each performance. She's mastered it on this tour. Sarah and her band have been extremely playful on this tour. They're having a blast. I love the new arrangements and Matt's drums.

As for her Starbucks performance, Sarah stated when she sat down on her bench that she was sick. So with that being said I believe that "awful" is harsh and uncalled for. :)
I have retracted my "awful" statement because I forgot she was sick. I will definitely give the 2010 version of "Possession" a listen. :)

I just listened to it and now I feel embarrassed. Her voice is still incredible! :)

Miguel

Post by Miguel » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:22 am

No worries! :) I think Sarah gets sick very often nowadays, not sure why. She was brave enough to sing anyway since it was announced just a couple of days before the event. It was unfortunate, we could've gotten at least 2-3 more songs

Sweetfear
Building A Mystery

Post by Sweetfear » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:18 am

[/quote]

As for her Starbucks performance, Sarah stated when she sat down on her bench that she was sick. So with that being said I believe that "awful" is harsh and uncalled for. :)[/quote]

I have retracted my "awful" statement because I forgot she was sick. I will definitely give the 2010 version of "Possession" a listen. :)

I just listened to it and now I feel embarrassed. Her voice is still incredible! :)[/quote]

I really hate myself for doing this.. I m a huge Sarah Fan for 8 years now ( i know some ppl here are for wayyyyy longer but oh well ) .
I m one of those who do not want to admit that her voice is getting wayyyyy worse - not even close to weak..just worse...
It seems as if she is lacking emotion. If any of you heard Sarahs live version of Steaming she was doing so many great things..not really the best vocally but she was trying.. Now it seems as if she is letting it slip away...
Sarah was always 99% better live than the cd but with LOI is a totally different story... i dont know if you agree..

Listening to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWVOm24I ... re=related OUT OF TUNE all i can think of is... call an ambulance.
Tangled up in our embrace
There's nothing I'd like better than to fall

Kaleysuncle
Drifting

Post by Kaleysuncle » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:25 pm

Sweetfear wrote:

I really hate myself for doing this.. I m a huge Sarah Fan for 8 years now ( i know some ppl here are for wayyyyy longer but oh well ) .
I m one of those who do not want to admit that her voice is getting wayyyyy worse - not even close to weak..just worse...
It seems as if she is lacking emotion. If any of you heard Sarahs live version of Steaming she was doing so many great things..not really the best vocally but she was trying.. Now it seems as if she is letting it slip away...
Sarah was always 99% better live than the cd but with LOI is a totally different story... i dont know if you agree..

Listening to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWVOm24I ... re=related OUT OF TUNE all i can think of is... call an ambulance.
I do agree with you on the emotion thing. I can't stand the way she sings "a beautiful fucked up man" now with a did-I-really-just-sing-that kind of grin... It completely ruins the whole thing for me. Sarah says she feels something "powerful" during Angel. I don't see that, all I see is boring because I've heard the song a gazillion times. :lol: I think motherhood just changes people. Look at Tori Amos now...

I do absolutely love her vocals on Laws of Illusion. Recording the album live was a very smart thing to do. It's a completely different atmosphere from the muffled sound on Afterglow. ;)

In a timeless search for a love that might work... - Stevie Nicks

Miguel

Post by Miguel » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Sweetfear wrote:
I didn't think there was anything wrong (obvious bias there :P ), other than that, she could have been tired. Who wouldn't be after being there for 8+ hours dealing with the press, soundcheck, preparing mentally for the show, etc...?

Mooncrown

Post by Mooncrown » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:09 am

I don't hear her voice as weakened-matured yes, but definately not weaker. She has an older, richer tone but she still has all the vocal power and raw emotion in her voice to me.

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:45 am

Sweetfear wrote:I m one of those who do not want to admit that her voice is getting wayyyyy worse - not even close to weak..just worse...
My doctor (whom I never visited for a very long time now) would argue that this is an unavoidable medical condition we normally refer to as aging. I agree though, it's not the same as it was 10-15 years ago and I'd be kidding myself if I didn't agree with you. ;)

But considering her tight sched, I'm amazed that she can still belt it out. A lot of the recent bootleg videos on Youtube proves that she can still amaze you. Of course there'd be times when she's simply tired and worn-out and it happens to all of us. If you watch her performance of Fumbling in the FTE LIve DVD again (and this was recorded in '95 if I'm not mistaken), you'll agree that it's one of her weakest performances of that song.
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...