LOI Album Thoughts/Opinions

Miguel

LOI Album Thoughts/Opinions

Post by Miguel » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:54 pm

I can say I'm very happy with the album.

I instantly loved most songs but I tend to skip Changes, not sure why but it will grow on me. And of course I skipped UWM2 and DGUOU.. somehow I feel maybe they shouldn't have been included on this album, but again, Sarah wanted these out there again. I read some comments on the listening party page, UWM2 and DGUOU were new for some people! :? It was surprising

Here's my "mini" review of the album

Awakenings- it's a standout track, very different from the rest and has some darkness that's been heard on previous albums. Out of all tracks, this was the perfect album opener. I think this is the most experimental song of the bunch. It's powerful and guitar-driven in some parts.

Illusions of Bliss- Another favorite track of mine, I love the balance of upbeatness and sadness here. The melody is beautiful and it's the perfect catchy song she could have ever created. I thought it was One Dream, but this one bumped it off!

Loving You Is Easy- I will admit that I was surprised when I first heard this song when it debuted. It is definitely a refreshing sound, not expected of Sarah. She worked around the song and managed to balance the sadness and happiness.

Changes - won't say much about this one yet. Although I did say at first that it sounded like Drifting (still does).She even sings the word "drifting" in the opening lines :D

Forgiveness - the most beautiful depressing song she's ever done so far. I can always go back and forth with other songs but I feel like it is now. I love the little buildup at the end. This song is pure, pure sadness. I guess Terry was right.

Rivers of Love - as depressing (and beautiful) as Forgiveness. It reminds me of Melissa McClelland's sound. I think it's because of the guitar, and Luke of course has played on most Melissa's albums

Love Come - this is another standout track, but I think something was missing on this one.. I feel like this song was meant to be forceful and loud like Awakenings, it's a little restrained. Looking forward to listening to the acoustic version!

Out of Tune - Caleb and I talked about this one and I agree that this seems to be the album's "World on Fire"; similar themes are talked about in the song. I expected it to be different based on the the preview I listened to, great nonetheless.

Heartbreak - another of my favorite tracks. One of the best, lyrically, on the album and the music is really great. The guitars and the tune is very southern-blues/pop.

Bring on the Wonder - a Susan Enan cover. Sarah provided vocals on one of the 2 Susan Enan versions. I like this one, but I am really afraid to admit that I prefer Susan's (ok, there I did it), which is the original :( BUT I do love how Sarah sings some of the lines a lot better (which is why I love her in the first place).

The review was not so mini after all :?
My Jon McLaughlin fansite
Member of the Hacking Team

Kaleysuncle
Drifting

Re: LOI Album Thoughts/Opinions

Post by Kaleysuncle » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:16 pm

After reading the article where Sarah explains her current songwriting I understand the album a bit more. I adore the album and every song on it, but I just felt something was lacking. Where was her poetry? Her tangled webs that didn't reveal exactly what each moment meant? I'm glad she declared that she doesn't feel the need to hide behind lyrics anymore. I accept that.

And I have to say that I DO like Changes. Heartbreak has grown on me too. :)

In a timeless search for a love that might work... - Stevie Nicks

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:10 am

I listened to all the songs again last night and I'm very pleased. Sarah regained her muse again in this new album and like I said before, I'm a big fan of the overall theme. I'm quite pleased with all of the tracks in general (even the fillers) and I'm glad there are no cringe-worthy songs similar to Push and the couldn't be more aptly titled Train Wreck. My favorites (in descending order) are Rivers of Love, Bring on the Wonder, Forgiveness, & Loving You Is Easy.

Rivers of Love is the most moving track imo. It's my favorite and I naturally gravitate to the song. Forgiveness and Bring on the Wonder on the other hand are equally beautiful (and depressing). I googled Susan Enan and I listened to the original version and I prefer Sarah's cover. I listen to these 3 songs the most. I'd go as far as saying that ROL and Forgiveness sounds like FTE outtakes. I didn't like Loving You Is Easy when I first heard it but it has grown on me since. It's a very amusing (and entertaining) song with a very simple and healthy message aimed at changing one's perspective of life and relationships.

Awakenings is not a personal favorite but I absolutely love the arrangement (hands down!). Illusions of Bliss reminds me a lot of Jewel. Out of Tune is pretty good but I think I have to listen to it more. The rest are fillers but they're growers, and I'm sure I'll get used to them. Overall, it's a pretty good album and one that I defo won't regret buying. 3 & 1/2 stars out of five is my current rating but that might still change. :D
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...

jessiemonkey
Fumbling

Post by jessiemonkey » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:18 am

i love it! so far my favorites are awakenings, rivers of love, forgiveness, and out of tune :mrgreen:

Magellan
Touched

Post by Magellan » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:46 am

I've listened to it in full a couple of times now, and at this stage I'd rate the album maybe 3/5. Or maybe 3.5/5 like Jessel said, because it will grow a little.

"Love Come" is actually my favourite - it's the most creative and different sounding track to me, and is tinged with a bit of electronica.

Of the rest, I like Out Of Tune, Awakenings and Bring On The Wonder.
Forgiveness is a nice classic Sarah ballad.
The weakest tracks IMHO are: Loving You Is Easy, Changes and Heartbreak. And I pretty much ignored U Want Me 2 and Don't Give Up On Us, because I feel like they're not really part of this album having been released ages ago.

Overall, while it stays true to the Sarah style, I wish it had offered some fresher sounds and a more creative direction, sound wise. Being a Sarah fan for 15 years has lead me to discover many other similar artists though, so I do have her "traditional Sarah style" to thank for that ;) But I feel pretty confident in saying there's nothing on LOI that could hold a candle to "Possession", "Silence", "Fear" or any of her dramatic, powerful, windswept tracks like those. I still hold out hope Sarah will aim for more powerful/ethereal tracks in the future (in 7 years time?)

Still, can't complain. She's not required to write music for anyone, it's totally her perogative. So as I sit on my butt and critique her work, or talk about what I'd prefer, the reality is I'm still very happy to have 10 new tracks to listen to :)

Rob.

Empirejim
Drifting

Post by Empirejim » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:12 am

Actually, Sarah is required to make one more album before her contract is up. After that, no holds barred, she is on her own to do whatever she likes. And yes, I liked how Miguel sumed up her album. I would agree with him on what he put forth.

Miguel

Post by Miguel » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:51 am

Thank you Empirejim :) Sarah has said Nettwerk has given her creative freedom with what she produces and Arista too. Everything she does is with the help of her managers and Pierre, so I highly doubt there will be a ground-breaking change in her music once her contract runs up with Arista, other than she will be free to release what she wants, when she wants. She has said on multiple occasions she can stop making music today and be set for life but she doesn't so because making music and singing live is what she loves to do (at her pace).

As Sarah gets older, her mindset changes.. we can't really expect a rinse-repeat of previous albums. It's only wishful thinking. There may be hints here and there and that's about it.

We can speculate all what we want, but the results will be there when they're presented. Some may or may not like it

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:39 am

Miguel wrote:As Sarah gets older, her mindset changes.. we can't really expect a rinse-repeat of previous albums. It's only wishful thinking. There may be hints here and there and that's about it.

We can speculate all what we want, but the results will be there when they're presented. Some may or may not like it
I totally agree with you. We all have our favorite songs or albums, but this woman is a great artist and she still makes wonderful music!
Karine

TheSquirrel
Full Of Grace

Post by TheSquirrel » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:57 pm

Didn't realise it was out. Saw Miguel's review (very good) and just downloaded it for free. Time to listen to two tracks. "Awakenings" in the first few bars reminded me of something that may have appeared on "Solace." Then it got rocky and it definitely reminds me of "Back Door Man." "Illusions" I liked too. Now this is more like it. Not the proverbial pile of parrot droppings I was expecting. Hope the rest is up to scratch. May even be worth buying. Sounds like there's some special limited edition thing out. Hope it's available in the UK. There will probably be 25 different sorts of special editions out. The only negative (which no one is going to agree with) is that her voice is getting weaker with age, but the songwriting is still there. For the first time in ages, I am optimistic about a new Sarah McLachlan album.
I'm an opinionated old tosser and proud of it.

Miguel

Post by Miguel » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:49 pm

TheSquirrel wrote:Not the proverbial pile of parrot droppings I was expecting.
Funny image :lol: :
Hope it's available in the UK.
I think the album is being released on the 28th there.. if you don't want to wait, get it at amazon from a third party seller when it's released. They're cheaper and you won't be charged extra taxes like Amazon does if you order directly from them