My cover of "Hold On"

Share here all your creative work
RiverOfLove
Fallen

My cover of "Hold On"

Post by RiverOfLove » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:34 pm

Hey guys,

I'm a musician, and yesterday I recorded a cover of Sarah's "Hold On." It's a rough demo, but I thought I'd share it. I'm recording a new demo album, and it's track 4 of the new album so far (if people want to hear the full album, I'll upload it here when I'm done with it. :) )

Anyway, all comments welcome, positive or negative. Here it is - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MHQ7TNZB

Times seen Sarah Live:
November 10th, 2010, Taft Theater, Cincinnati OH
July 11th, 2014, PNC Pavillion, Cincinnati OH

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant." - Robert Louis Stevenson

RiverOfLove
Fallen

Re: My cover of "Hold On"

Post by RiverOfLove » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:28 pm

Can someone please provide feedback?

I sometimes listen to my music through 'rose tinted ears.' I can't really tell if a take is good, until I get positive or negative criticism. I tend to like everything I record usually, so I am not a good judge of my own music.

Times seen Sarah Live:

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:22 am

Errr... I'm not really a big fan of this song hehe.
Anyway, pretty nice guitar work overall but the arrangement is quite bland. And the vocals just didn't do it for me. Inasmuch as I hate Hold On (lol!) both lyrically and musically, it's still a very compelling piece of art and your voice (at least in this cover - I hasten to add) lacks the necessary emotion to pull it off. It sounds way too pop-ish imho.

I dunno, maybe its just a matter of taste since I'm not as interested in acoustic covers as I used to be. Hope I didn't offend you and it's clearly not my intention. Keep working on the vocals and your technique though. Good luck with it! :)
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:32 am

I tried to download it, but it's always the same: I have problems with Megaupload. It's never working because other students are using the same internet connection than me (it's says that a computer with the same IP address is downloading something)!
Karine

RiverOfLove
Fallen

Post by RiverOfLove » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:52 am

Well, my vocals are more suited towards pop/R&B than songs that Sarah does. I've covered Christina Aguilera and Michael Jackson as well, and those covers seemed to go down really well.

I dunno, I've just always loved "Hold On", and wanted to cover it. :) But I understand that my vocals aren't to everyone's tastes. And I tend to arrange things in a different way than Sarah does.

Times seen Sarah Live:

RiverOfLove
Fallen

Post by RiverOfLove » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:31 pm

And I just realized that the right channel is muted, so it's only coming through one speaker. :o I recorded two songs using that mic, and both are suffering from that issue, so I now have to figure out how to fix that.

Times seen Sarah Live: