Stevie Nicks

Talk about all the other musicians
Kaleysuncle
Drifting

Re: Stevie Nicks

Post by Kaleysuncle » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:33 pm

http://www1.rollingstone.com/hearitnow/ ... nicks.html

Listen to In Your Dreams there ^. All I can say is holy shit. <3 Definitely her masterpiece!

In a timeless search for a love that might work... - Stevie Nicks

Kaleysuncle
Drifting

Post by Kaleysuncle » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:02 pm

It's SO hard to rate the songs because every single one is consistant and doesn't disappoint. Moonlight (A Vampire's Dream) is absolutely mind blowing IMO. I've loved Lady from the Mountain for years and now it's finally come alive. Even though the chorus is inspired by the Twilight series, I think Stephenie Meyer could learn a thing or two about writing after hearing this. ;)

The album contains pop, rock, blues, and just acoustic melodies. It fits any mood, really.

I know I can't really do this until I have the actual album in my hands, but I'll try to write something about each song:

1) Secret Love - Even though I've heard it for the past 3 months, it still seems fresh to me. There's not a lot to say about it. I wasn't sure if I'd like it as the album opener, but I think it fits afterall.

2) For What It's Worth - This song is VERY Fleetwood Mac to me. It's obviously about Lindsey Buckingham and all the years they've spent together through the good and bad. I think it's a nice ode to him and the fans.

3) In Your Dreams - Am I listening to Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers? Since Stevie is an honorary Heartbreaker it makes sense. I don't have much to say about this track yet except I DO like the chorus. :)

4) Wide Sargasso Sea - "And even though they were so in love they drew a line in the sand just because..." This is another favorite. I love how the song builds and then explodes at the end.

5) New Orleans - When Stevie sang a verse from this song on the Fleetwood Mac's 2009 Unleashed tour, I wasn't impressed with it. The finished product is fantastic. It's a great tribute to New Orleans and the Hurricane Katrina tragedy. I was glad to see this finally released after all the years Stevie has talked about it.

6) Moonlight (A Vampire's Dream) - Whoa. That was my first thought when I heard the beginning of the Lady from the Mountain riff. This is the best Stevie has sounded in YEARS. I'm so proud of the fact that she's still able to blow me away after all these years.

7) Annabel Lee - This is my favorite Edgar Allan Poe poem. I never really liked the Trouble in Shangri-la demo of this song. Now, the In Your Dreams version beats the old demo to pieces. It's absolutely beautiful. "And the moon never beams without bringing me dreams..."

8) Soldier's Angel - Am I seeing a glimpse of Buckingham/Nicks II? I hope! I like how the title is tricky. The song is creepy rather and offers a darkness that gives the album depth. It's not about the soldier's. It's about Stevie's experience in Walter Reed and other hospitals visiting the soldier's. Along with the lyrics Lindsey's guitar and added harmonies help make the song as well.

9) Everybody Loves You - When Dave released a demo clip of this song last summer I didn't dig it at all. This polished product, I do like. I love the intro. I'm not sure how I feel about Dave's voice in the chorus. It's not one of my favorites, but I do like it.

10) Ghosts Are Gone - Hello Angel... Hello Rhiannon... Hello 1979... This is going to be one hell of a live song! :o I love how she channels her 1979 Angel self with "like a ghost through the fog..." I could honestly listen to this Stevie all day long and never tire. The guitar is pretty badass.

11) You May Be the One - Stevie was meant to sing the blues. <3 This was one of the first new songs that touched me in such a way because I've been there and done that. The chorus makes me want to belt along with her. "I used to love you, see the light inside of you, I used to dream that you were an angel, you were an angel..."

12) Italian Summer - This is the most vulnerable I've heard Stevie in years. She definitely puts herself out there in this song. The strings are beautiful. "You just had to fall."

13) Cheaper Than Free - I really have nothing against this song. I do like like it, but it's just not a favorite. It's not sticking with me like Moonlight or You May Be the One is. I do appreciate this as the album closer though. It's a sweet duet with sweet, straight-to-the-point lyrics. That's something we don't always get from Stevie. :)

To me, In Your Dreams is Stevie's personal Rumours. I can see her winning a Grammy for it. I love everything the album offers... the mysticism... the romance... the poetry... the vampires... It's truely amazing. :D

Kaleysuncle
Drifting

Post by Kaleysuncle » Sun May 01, 2011 2:36 pm

I'm so proud of Stevie. In Your Dreams is blowing other pop artists out of the water... mainly Lady Gaga and Jlo's new albums, chart wise anyway. She deserves it!

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Tue May 03, 2011 9:36 am

Kaleysuncle wrote:I think Stephenie Meyer could learn a thing or two about writing after hearing this. ;)
:lol: :lol:

Anyway, I have yet to listen to this since my excitement for Kate's new album is beginning to overshadow my love for Stevie and I'd hate to just shelf it the moment I grabbed a copy of Kate's DU. There's not one single negative comment in your review and that makes me a little doubtful but that's okay since I'd do the same thing for my queen. ;)

The new version of Annabel Lee piqued my interest though. Maybe I'll listen to it one month from now. :P
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...

Kaleysuncle
Drifting

Post by Kaleysuncle » Mon May 09, 2011 5:25 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf2dWDOcnDA

My Heart, the bonus track from In Your Dreams.

I've been so used to the TiSL version of this song that it's going to take me a while to get used to this one. The first verse was removed. I still like it though. I just the the long note at the end was still there.