Ellie Goulding

Talk about all the other musicians
Magellan
Touched

Ellie Goulding

Post by Magellan » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:33 am

So Ellie Goulding is considered the next big thing from the UK, and a little bit in the "Florence" vein.

It's smart electro-pop, with a quirky style. She topped the BBC's "Sound of 2010" poll, edging out Marina and the Diamonds in 2nd.

She's kind of adorable really, and how much does her voice sound like Leigh Nash!

This is my favourite so far. Starting to really like this one...
"Under The Sheets"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Navl4fYI-Zk

This I don't mind...
"Starry Eyed"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PULdPep_xfs

This less so...
"Guns and Horses"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDwbHeR0UYc

But she has potential I think, and I'm moments away from buying the album.

Rob.

Crazylitstudent
Drifting

Re: Ellie Goulding

Post by Crazylitstudent » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:32 am

The album is really really really REALLY good! I LOVE "Under The Sheets" so much. I was surpirised that she brought "Guns and Horses" out as a single though, its a good song but there are better ones on the album. I didn't notice it untill you mentioned it now but yes she does sound like Leigh Nash. No wonder I think shes awesome! :mrgreen: And the video for "Starry Eyed" is adorable! Ellie is such a cutie!

On a sad note I was surpost to see Ellie in concert a couple of months ago but the concert just happened to fall in the week were my depression/stress related illness started to get worst and I couldn't go because I was so ill..... :(

Magellan
Touched

Post by Magellan » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:27 am

Totally agree with you about Guns And Horses. I have the album too now, and have been listening for the past week or so.

I'm pretty impressed with it. It's smart, cleverly written pop - written or co-written by Ellie. There's some nice layers and quirks, clever bits, and rich and interesting vocals from Ellie.

This album is now at must try status for all you crazy cats who haven't done so yet :)

Other key songs to try (ones that haven't been released as singles yet):

- This Love (Will Be Your Downfall)
- Your Biggest Mistake

These tracks are great. Overall my favourite 2 tracks are:

- Under The Sheets
- This Love (Will Be Your Downfall)

Rob.

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:01 am

Magellan wrote:for all you crazy cats who haven't done so yet :)
What's that supposed to mean? :P ;)

Never heard of her but I'm surprised at the no. of hits she get on Youtube. My first impression: she's mainstream. I'll give her a try after I'm done listening over and over again to LOI in a few more days...
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...

Crazylitstudent
Drifting

Post by Crazylitstudent » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:12 am

Jessel wrote:My first impression: she's mainstream.
Well she did have a number 1 album in the uk so yeah I would call her mainstream. But then again it seems like the female singer is mainstream here at the moment. What annoys me though is the British press thinking that the whole quirky female singer/songwriter started with Lilly Allen!! Shows how far we are behind North America! :lol: Sorry I needed that little rant! :P

@ Rob:

I was sure that This Love (Will Be Your Downfall) would be the third single!! Its an awesome song that desveres more attention.

Magellan
Touched

Post by Magellan » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:42 am

Ellie's 4th single (and video) is "The Writer".

This is a pretty good one. (Though again, not the one I would have chosen for next single).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-ru2glqXAg

Yes she is mainstream Jessel, but your notion of mainstream is probably as old as mine :) i.e. This is the quality of mainstream 15 years ago. Actual mainstream these days is gaga-perry-usher-bieber etc. Most of which I cannot stand. :x

So actually, in today's world, Ellie is a class act on the fringes of alternative ;) Note also - she was a folk singer before this debut album. I think she's really interesting, and if this debut doesn't grab you, definitely keep an eye on her for the future. Q magazine raves about her.

Crazylitstudent
Drifting

Post by Crazylitstudent » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:11 am

"The Writer" is one of my favourite songs from the album and the video is beautiful!!! Ellie looks so dreamy in it! <3 I would rather wacth this video than the current Katy Perry video which is just tacky and kinda ugly.... :roll:

Danyy
Full Of Grace

Post by Danyy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:46 am

After listening to some of her songs I, surprisingly, found her album when I went to buy Laws Of Illusion, I didn't buy it straight away but my curiosity made me go back for it and I'm so glad I did :D
I'm in love with her music, she has the sweetest voice, amazing lyrics and a great sound <3 My favourite songs on the album are Everytime You Go (I would like for this one to be a single), Under The Sheets and Starry Eyed.

Thanks for sharing the video Rob, it looks lovely :)
Carla

Signature and avatar by Ellen

Crazylitstudent
Drifting

Post by Crazylitstudent » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:04 pm

I don't normally buy let alone recomend reissues of albums but Ellie's Bright Lights is totally worth it!

The added songs are really good, esp her lovely cover of Elton John's Your Song! I got the deluxe version off iTunes with her live set from the iTunes festival and most of her music videos. A good package!

Anyway heres the two singles from the reissue

Your Song (A lovely video for a lovely cover)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9AFMVMl9qE

Lights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NKUpo_xKyQ

Danyy
Full Of Grace

Post by Danyy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:11 pm

I love love love Bright Lights, the new songs are all amazing <3
Carla

Signature and avatar by Ellen