tori amos

Talk about all the other musicians
chadwick
Touched

tori amos

Post by chadwick » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:56 pm

i started listening to this red-head in 2005 and she is an amazing artist and live performer. i don't think a day goes by that i don't listen to one of her songs... since 1992, she has released 12 records with countless live recordings and b-sides. tori is certainly a hard-working and giving artist with a 2-year wait between records and tours. usually, fans are treated with surprises during the wait with concert DVDs, collections, bootlegs, and books. during the tours, tori takes the time to meet with her fans before the show. no special passes... just show up early!

if you're visiting this thread because you want to discover tori's music... i recommend starting with her earlier works and then move forward as you see fit. "little earthquakes" (1992) and "under the pink" (1994) are tori's first solo releases that really showcase her as a pianist and singer/songwriter. the music is raw and a sure win with many fans and newcomers. her third album "boys for pele" (1996) may lack "radio-friendly" hits but it is a classic tori record but may be too inaccessible for a newcomer. tori mentioned that she views these records as a trilogy.

"from the choirgirl hotel" (1998) and "to venus and back" (1999) showcases a switch to a more electonic sound with the latter record being a double CD that includes tori's first full-length live CD. "strange little girls" (2001) is a covers record featuring songs written by men but sung from a female perspective.

"scarlet's walk" (2002) and "the beekeeper" (2005) crosses over into the adult contemporary genre. "american doll posse" (2007) is a bit edgy and diverse with its sound as tori takes on the appearance and personalities of 5 female characters, each with their own musical sound.

"abnormally attracted to sin" (2009) blends a lot of sounds from previous records but could really be a sister release to "american doll posse." "midwinter graces" (2009) is tori's first winter/holiday record where she re-works some of the old carols and provides some of her own material. this record returns tori to her earlier roots where the songs were written around the piano.

tori has a loyal fan base but not all typically like the musical choices she's made over the years... many want her to return to her roots and write songs around the piano while some enjoy the new musical direction that fits along the lines of "tori amos band." this is usually the center point of discussion amongst some fans.

for us toriphiles, i'm sure we can continue on with our discussions from sarahboards...
Last edited by chadwick on Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
fumbling...

Crazylitstudent
Drifting

Re: tori amos

Post by Crazylitstudent » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:11 pm

Tori is a total Goddess! <3 An amazingly creative and beautiful (both spiritually and physically) woman who has always intrested me both with her music and her odd ball style (Read her book; Peice by Peice to see just how intresting she is as a person). Saying that I think she misfired creativity with The Beekeeper and Abnormally Attracted to Sin. These albums just didn't have that spark (pun intended) that Tori's other works have in my opinion. I did however love Midwinter Graces.... Looking forward to her next album whenever it comes into being.... <3

chadwick
Touched

Post by chadwick » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:57 pm

for newcomers, here are a few videos that showcase tori's talents. enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvzBb1QnB8c
father lucifer from "boys for pele" (late night with david letterman, 1996)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPC_vWSs ... re=related
icicle from "under the pink" (MTV unplugged 1996)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlCdpeX3KO4#movie_player
caught a lite sneeze from "boys for pele" (west 54th sessions)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dmL8rTYIQ8
taxi ride from "scarlet's walk" (sunrise early show, australia)
fumbling...

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:33 am

She's the first female artist I seriously listened to, years before I discovered Sarah. Little Earthquakes and Choirgirl are my favorite albums. My favorite Tori songs are Winter, 1000 Oceans, Sleeps With Butterflies, Precious Things, Northern Lad, and (for some strange reason I can't quite put my finger to) her cover of '97 Bonnie and Clyde. She's a brilliant artist and songwriter, we might never see anyone like her again.

My favorite lyric:
I'm aware what the rules are but you know that I will run, you know that I will follow you,
Over silbury hill through the solar field, you know that I will follow you.

Completely moving. :D

Although I'm not a fan of her recent albums at all and I have to really struggle not to think about Kate Bush while listening to her material from the mid-90s, one thing I'd say about Tori is that she's fearless. She's one of those very few unique artists who can take any song and turn it into her own. I guess anyone who can turn such crap as "Hit Me Baby One More Time" into something hauntingly beautiful is without question a musical prodigy. :lol:

Btw, she lent her voice to an upcoming album, a musical about a great, great (infamous) lady:
You'll Be Taken Care Of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7AMiAShUA8

Why Don't You Love Me (with Cyndi Lauper)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Nt4Adf ... re=related
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...

Kaleysuncle
Drifting

Post by Kaleysuncle » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:17 am

Strange Little Girls and the Beekeeper are the only Tori albums I never listen to. Scarlet's Walk remains my favorite; it's a masterpeice. :)

In a timeless search for a love that might work... - Stevie Nicks

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:16 pm

I discovered Tori Amos at the end of the 90's, when she released From the Choirgirl Hotel.
I think I have all of her albums, but I never listen to her last one, Abnormally Attracted to Sin. Well, I listen to a few songs, like Welcome to England, 500 Miles and Oscars Theme, but it's not my favorite album. My favorite are Little Earthquakes, From the Choirgirl Hotel and Under The Pink.
Karine

WolfmanJack

Post by WolfmanJack » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:56 pm

I have never heard her sing and from the reviews i see, I will definitely give her a listen and make my comments known, thank you

chadwick
Touched

Post by chadwick » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:13 pm

WolfmanJack wrote:I have never heard her sing and from the reviews i see, I will definitely give her a listen and make my comments known, thank you
yeah, let us know what you think... i started with "under the pink" and it is still my favorite tori record. just a bit of advice, tori is an acquired taste so if she doesn't grab you on the first listen, give it a second listen or try another record.
fumbling...

Blackangel12868
Building A Mystery

Post by Blackangel12868 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:52 am

I just stumbled upon 'you'll be taken care of' and the cyndi lauper duet. I love you'll be taken care of. I think tori's voice blends really well with the funky instrumentation this song has. Has this album dropped and i missed it?

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:25 am

^Tori & Cyndi recorded it for a concept album about the early life infamous former Phil. First Lady Imelda Marcos (I like her btw lol!). It was released last April but the target audience are mainly musical theater fans. Other guests vocalists on the album include Sia, Natalie Merchant, & Roisin Murphy.
http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/mus ... s+Love.htm

Btw, Tori is currently working on a new musical as a follow-up project to her latest album... :| :?
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...