random thoughts?

For all the random things in life
Quincy
Fallen

Re: random thoughts?

Post by Quincy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:44 pm

Hi Quincy,

I'm one of the lucky ones who can work from home, as long as it lasts. It's complicated, but I'm here for the time being. This is already much worse than the 2008 recession and 9/11 combined, and seems more like what some are calling the aftermath of a world war.

But on a lighter note, you're the only guy I know of who is into Sarah's music. Earlier I was listening to Sweet Surrender, one of my favorites on YouTube and let it autoplay. After a while another favorite, Eva Cassidy, began playing. I know she was "discovered" in the UK after her death, and became famous. Are you a fan? Like Sarah, she could sing anything and leave you speechless.

She kind of led me to to being receptive to Sarah years later. They both have that heart-stopping delivery.

I used to go to shows (before Covid-19) at Seattle's Jazz Alley occasionally. A small place, great for intimate shows. I always wish Sarah would play such a place. Similar to Washington, D.C.'s Blues Alley, where those wonderful videos of Eva were recorded in 1996.
Check her out on Youtube if you haven't yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXBNlApwh0c

Cheers

Ed[/quote]

Hi Ed,

Yes, I know of Eva, again a huge talent who is sorely missed. We have a couple of EC’ s cd’s (although I can only find one at present). I think one of the best track on the Songbird cd is Somewhere over the rainbow. She hits those highs with clarity and force, something that many of today’s “stars” fail to emulate.
I know Eva was prone to severe pre show stage fright, but apparently once she was on stage “she entered another world”. I’ve paraphrased the last bit, I just can’t think of who said that about her. Katie Melua performed a “duet” with Eva on one of Katie’s albums, which I remember was impressive. I’ll have to dig that one out and let you know which track that was.

As for men liking SMcL music, I know/knew of several. When I was on the road a few of my customers were into her music in a big way, which surprised me (one of them was a former Scottish International rugby player)

Stay safe stay well!

Quincy

Quincy
Fallen

Post by Quincy » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:51 pm

Merry Christmas to you all and all the best for the New year.
Not much to look forward to in the UK but hopefully things can only get better....because sure as hell it can’t get worse.
Happy birthday to Miguel who if I remember correctly is on Christmas Day.

Quincy ;)

Islandflyer
Drifting

Post by Islandflyer » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:18 pm

Merry Christmas and a (hopefully) Happier New Year to you too, Quincy, and to all the others on the forum, as well.

It can always get worse, though. We're waiting here in the US to see if it does, between the incompetent-won't-go-away-would-be dictator and the still-expanding virus.

Stay safe and well.

Ed
Ed

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:31 am

Merry Christmas to all!! :D
I wish you the best in 2021: a good health, lots of fun with family and friends, and great moments full of happiness and laughters.
Karine

Luus81
Touched

Post by Luus81 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:13 pm

Happy New Year everyone!! :D

Hope 2021 would be a better year than 2020.....
You're so beautiful with an edge and charm
But so careful when I'm in your arms

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:13 am

Happy New Year!! I wish you the best for 2021!! :D :D
Karine

Luus81
Touched

Post by Luus81 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:38 pm

I hope everyone is doing well. :)

Normally it does not snow a lot in the Netherlands, and not extremely, but since Saturday night we are actually in a winter wonderland! It's freezing cold, but I LOVE it. :D

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:45 am

I am well, thanks for asking! It's pretty cold here too (I'm in Canada) and unfortunately, it was too cold to take my little one outside today. We might go outside with him tomorrow, it should be warmer (it was -17 Celsius, but with the cold wind, it felt more like -25; tomorrow, it should be around -7, so much warmer).
For Christmas, my sister found a little wood sled for babies and he loves when we take him to the park in it. We slide down some small hills with him and he's all smily when he gets to the bottom. He's fun to watch! :D
Karine

Quincy
Fallen

Post by Quincy » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:36 am

Hi everyone,
I hope you’re all fit and well?
Certainly better than me at least, since I’m just getting over my second big heart attack, which I had in the new year. I now have found out that I have an undiscovered congenital heart defect. Fortunately I haven’t passed it on to my son, which would have been devastating enough but since he’s pilot flying corporate jets that would have been the end of his career.
I also managed to contract COVID when In hospital, but that was mild, and I think that’s all ok now with no lingering effects.
The heart attack was brutal and painful, and I have to be honest, I was scared, big time. Funnily enough when I was laid there there was a clear calm voice in my head telling me to be calm and not to panic. Again our NHS were superb.
I’m getting my final COVID jab next week (the AstraZenica variant) so I’m hoping things will be better from now on.
My old iPod finally gave up the ghost a few weeks ago so I bought myself a Cowon plenue portable music player. It has an onboard DAC which presents an excellent soundstage. I’m hearing things that were simply missing from my iPod. Well worth the expense.
Looking forward to some new music from some of my favourite artists this year (London Grammar and Birdy) and who knows SMcL my announce some new stuff.
Please stay safe out there everyone.

Luus81
Touched

Post by Luus81 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:50 pm

Quincy, how sad to read about your heart problems. I wish you a speedy recovery and I also hope for you things will go better from now on... :)

I'm fine. I had my first vaccination in March, the second one will follow in June (Astra Zeneca). Then we will hopefully be a step closer to freedom. At least, a little more freedom so that we can go to concerts and football matches again. But also visiting family and friends. I miss this soooo much.... :cry:

Quincy, may I point out that Sarah a.s. is having a live event with Lyle Lovett on Friday night (for Europe this would be in the night of May 1st). It's a live event, but if you buy a ticket ($ 10), you can watch the event at least until May 2. It will be worth watching, I guess... I bought a ticket.
More info, check this topic: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=901