random thoughts?

For all the random things in life
Quincy
Fallen

Re: random thoughts?

Post by Quincy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:27 pm

Hi Karine,
I see that this post is a "Good news,Bad news" variety.
I hope that your job search is fruitful. I know it's harder and harder these days to find the "right" job. Heaven knows I've searched for it all my working life. I think there was only one time I had a job that gave me satisfaction. The only issue was the salary, which was dire. Having a academic qualification is something in your favour. Over in the UK, any job of any meaning dictates a degree of some description. Two of my previous employers would not even consider me for the positions I previously held because I don't have a degree. The experience, yes, but not an academic qualification. You are correct when you say you need to use your network (Or should that be Nettwerk??) to hunt out jobs. Many times it's not what you know, but who you know. Third party affirmation of you as a person, and of your abilities still carries a lot of weight. When I started out in technical sales it took me 2 years to be accepted by my customers, because that's how long it took me to sell myself to them. Use your network Karine, and use it well.
Secondly, good news about your relationship. I sincerely hope everything works out for you, but remember you BOTH have to work hard at it. I've been married to my much better half for 42 years and I'm still having to work hard at it. Get it wrong every day.....but I'm consistent at getting it wrong. Still not sure if that's a good thing or not!!
Q

Quincy
Fallen

Post by Quincy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:30 pm

CarolCiola wrote:Hi there!

The Café is quiet for a long time, yes! We should schedule some time to chat :)

Karine, having kids really is a big step on a relationship, congrats for this wish of you both!! :D Are you also planning to get married next year?

I'm going to pass by a surgery next Wednesday, gallstones. Will remove my vesicle and be off from work around 15 days. But is something simple, and I'm looking forward to do this to end with this stomachaches that I'm feeling for a while.

I'm also looking for a new job, still employed but wanting something new. My area is not evoluting as I wanted on the company I work.

Next Saturday I have the final test of my post graduation, my thesis is done. The defense will happen on September.
How are you Carol??

Islandflyer
Drifting

Post by Islandflyer » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:33 pm

So you're telling us you're still "Fumbling Towards Ecstasy" after 42 years, Quincy? ;)
Bravo! Keep the faith. :)
Ed

CarolCiola
Fallen

Post by CarolCiola » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:21 am

Quincy wrote:
CarolCiola wrote:Hi there!

The Café is quiet for a long time, yes! We should schedule some time to chat :)

Karine, having kids really is a big step on a relationship, congrats for this wish of you both!! :D Are you also planning to get married next year?

I'm going to pass by a surgery next Wednesday, gallstones. Will remove my vesicle and be off from work around 15 days. But is something simple, and I'm looking forward to do this to end with this stomachaches that I'm feeling for a while.

I'm also looking for a new job, still employed but wanting something new. My area is not evoluting as I wanted on the company I work.

Next Saturday I have the final test of my post graduation, my thesis is done. The defense will happen on September.
How are you Carol??
Hi Q,

I'm still recovering, the 1st month is the worse one but I'm handling as I can. I'm still on a rigorous diet of fats, and passed through backaches and nausea last week, but I'm okay now. Tomorrow is one month that I made the surgery.

Thanks for asking! :)

Quincy
Fallen

Post by Quincy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:11 pm

Islandflyer wrote:So you're telling us you're still "Fumbling Towards Ecstasy" after 42 years, Quincy? ;)
Bravo! Keep the faith. :)
Not so much "Fumbling Towards Ecstasy", more......, "Grumbling Towards Ecstasy"
Yes, that's it Grumbling...I like to grumble now and then!

Doesn't get me anywhere, but it annoys the hell out of my better half!

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:16 pm

Hi guys!
Carol, I'm happy to know the worse part in now behind you.

Quincy: it's not going to be easy, but I hope I can find something interesting.

I'm on short vacations with my boyfriend: we went camping last weekend, and we're visiting his family this week; I'm having a nice time.

I hope you're all having a good summer.
Karine

Quincy
Fallen

Post by Quincy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:44 pm

Hi everybody,

I truly hope that everyone is fit and well, and not suffering with Covid19, or its fallout?

I’m self isolating this week since my MBH has had the flu (we think!). We think it may have been picked up whilst visiting the hospital on one of our more and more frequent visits. TheMBH managed to break her foot in early February, (NO I didn’t facilitate that fall, it was an accident, honest!) and on the last visit we think she may have contracted it there.
The only other good news we had that my MBH has now been given the all clear with her cancer, which for me totally overshadows everything else that’s happening around the world. A selfish sentiment I know, but I’m like that sometimes.
I finally got to read Judith Fitzgerald’s book about SMcL, Building a mystery. It’s written by an author who would call herself, a wordsmith, but I’m sorry the writing style was tiring, and I’m trying to be very nice at this point. If you’ve read the book I’m sure you understand what I’m talking about. I get the feeling that, despite the many gushing words of praise and admiration about Sarah’s work, JF is bordering on vindictive. There’re are far too many barbed and let’s be honest, bitchy comments. The name calling is something that, if JF wanted this literally piece to be taken seriously, she should have steered well clear of. There are some (I think) factual errors in there as well. It does appear to be well researched however, despite what I’ve just alluded to. I found some additional info of the way back machine website, much of which appeared to be lifted from JF’sbook.
Must go now. Write again soon.

Quincy

Islandflyer
Drifting

Post by Islandflyer » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:14 am

Quincy wrote:Hi everybody,

I truly hope that everyone is fit and well, and not suffering with Covid19, or its fallout?

I’m self isolating this week since my MBH has had the flu (we think!). We think it may have been picked up whilst visiting the hospital on one of our more and more frequent visits. TheMBH managed to break her foot in early February, (NO I didn’t facilitate that fall, it was an accident, honest!) and on the last visit we think she may have contracted it there.
The only other good news we had that my MBH has now been given the all clear with her cancer, which for me totally overshadows everything else that’s happening around the world. A selfish sentiment I know, but I’m like that sometimes.
I finally got to read Judith Fitzgerald’s book about SMcL, Building a mystery. It’s written by an author who would call herself, a wordsmith, but I’m sorry the writing style was tiring, and I’m trying to be very nice at this point. If you’ve read the book I’m sure you understand what I’m talking about. I get the feeling that, despite the many gushing words of praise and admiration about Sarah’s work, JF is bordering on vindictive. There’re are far too many barbed and let’s be honest, bitchy comments. The name calling is something that, if JF wanted this literally piece to be taken seriously, she should have steered well clear of. There are some (I think) factual errors in there as well. It does appear to be well researched however, despite what I’ve just alluded to. I found some additional info of the way back machine website, much of which appeared to be lifted from JF’sbook.
Must go now. Write again soon.

Quincy
Hi Quincy,

I hope you and your BH stay well and it doesn't get any worse. I've been reading articles about how your NHS is being overwhelmed by the fast-rising case load, which is going to happen in the US sooner rather than later. Hopefully it won't be as bad as Italy. Your country is suffering under the same sort of short-sighted and self-serving austerity measures that the US has been pummeled with for the last couple of decades, with similar outcomes. Best of luck to you all. At least you have a single-payer system, instead of the everyman-for-himself high-profit, reduced-outcome system the U.S. insists on maintaining.

I had heard of this book but the reviews sounded somewhat like your's, so I hadn't looked into it. I gather she must have canceled her tour sometime in Feb and gone home before things stated getting bad.

Hang in there and be careful. I'm able to work from home in the meantime, so that's good...so far.

Ed
Ed

Quincy
Fallen

Post by Quincy » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:58 pm

Hi Ed,

Thanks for those kind words.

I see that you’re now in Everett, I’m assuming it’s to be nearer work?
How’s that working out at Boeing? I know things are still sketchy at present, but the massive downturn in individuals flying will have a massive impact on the aviation business, from suppliers through to the aircraft manufacturers.
Despite the rhetoric given out by governments throughout Europe that the “..borders are closed...” there are still plenty of flights going on, just checkout “Flightradar24.com”
My son is a pilot and he’s already being asked to take a pay cut, so things are getting worse over here.
Hope everything’s working out for you!

Quincy

Islandflyer
Drifting

Post by Islandflyer » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:57 am

Quincy wrote:Hi Ed,

Thanks for those kind words.

I see that you’re now in Everett, I’m assuming it’s to be nearer work?
How’s that working out at Boeing? I know things are still sketchy at present, but the massive downturn in individuals flying will have a massive impact on the aviation business, from suppliers through to the aircraft manufacturers.
Despite the rhetoric given out by governments throughout Europe that the “..borders are closed...” there are still plenty of flights going on, just checkout “Flightradar24.com”
My son is a pilot and he’s already being asked to take a pay cut, so things are getting worse over here.
Hope everything’s working out for you!

Quincy
Hi Quincy,

I'm one of the lucky ones who can work from home, as long as it lasts. It's complicated, but I'm here for the time being. This is already much worse than the 2008 recession and 9/11 combined, and seems more like what some are calling the aftermath of a world war.

But on a lighter note, you're the only guy I know of who is into Sarah's music. Earlier I was listening to Sweet Surrender, one of my favorites on YouTube and let it autoplay. After a while another favorite, Eva Cassidy, began playing. I know she was "discovered" in the UK after her death, and became famous. Are you a fan? Like Sarah, she could sing anything and leave you speechless.

She kind of led me to to being receptive to Sarah years later. They both have that heart-stopping delivery.

I used to go to shows (before Covid-19) at Seattle's Jazz Alley occasionally. A small place, great for intimate shows. I always wish Sarah would play such a place. Similar to Washington, D.C.'s Blues Alley, where those wonderful videos of Eva were recorded in 1996.
Check her out on Youtube if you haven't yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXBNlApwh0c

Cheers

Ed
Ed