Sarah and Nettwerk

Discuss here any general things concerning Sarah
Jessel
Fumbling

Re: Sarah and Nettwerk

Post by Jessel » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:04 am

Quincy wrote:I'm not sure I understand that Jessel. You have to think of the broader picture if your selling yourself, your music, or indeed, any consumer product. Writing for SMcL isn't really an option. If that's what the record buying public want then you've cracked it, but you have to be sure on that.

The thing is, Sarah (like Joni Mitchell) has established a sizable cult following and boy, does she know it. She could retire any day now but making music is still a profitable venture since there's still a market. There's no denying the terrible decline in the quality of her songwriting but let's get real here: we fans love her so much that we'd line up to the nearest CD store to buy her newest album anyway. We can complain all we want about it later on but my lord and lady, can we really bear to ignore a new CD by SMcL knowing it's just a trip to the record shop away? :P
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:03 pm

Jessel wrote:There's no denying the terrible decline in the quality of her songwriting but let's get real here: we fans love her so much that we'd line up to the nearest CD store to buy her newest album anyway. We can complain all we want about it later on but my lord and lady, can we really bear to ignore a new CD by SMcL knowing it's just a trip to the record shop away? :P
Even in these conditions, her songs are better than a lot of others that are recorded theses days (and I personally think she still writes very good songs).
Karine

TheSquirrel
Full Of Grace

Post by TheSquirrel » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:13 pm

[quote="Jessel"]
True, a lot of celebs focus on charity when they don't have something new to offer at the moment to keep them in the radar. But in my humble opinion, it matters little whether celebs are sincere or not.
quote]

Absolutely correct Jessel. I also agree with the rest of your points, and also Qunicy and Karine. She's still writing some good songs, even though we know she's past her best. Not only does she not have to be sincere, I have said in the past that the most beautiful music is made by the most awful people. A point that KT Tunstall makes on her "The Entertainer" track. I will almost certainly be buying her next album of original material, unless it is a complete write off, because I am sure there will be a track or two of interest, but sadly other new songwriters are now overtaking her with vibrant fresh and interesting songs.
I'm an opinionated old tosser and proud of it.

RiverOfLove
Fallen

Post by RiverOfLove » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:39 pm

I actually thought her new album was one of her best. Certainly better than her first two (and I love Touch and Solace.)

Yeah, she'll never reach the highs of Fumbling and Surfacing again, but what she's creating now is pretty damn wonderful. And my favorite CD by her is Afterglow, anyways.

Times seen Sarah Live:
November 10th, 2010, Taft Theater, Cincinnati OH
July 11th, 2014, PNC Pavillion, Cincinnati OH

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Quincy
Fallen

Post by Quincy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:59 am

TheSquirrel wrote: The problem with superstars is they are great with charity and the big picture because they are so egocentric they are incappable of holding down a relationship due to the me me me me attitude. They are a race apart. Great with impersonal stuff like charities...
Don't forget Squirrel, She does have a hands on approach with her Outreach foundation!!

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:34 am

Karine wrote:Even in these conditions, her songs are better than a lot of others that are recorded theses days...
I absolutely agree. I wouldn't even dare compare Sarah's songwriting to all the crap that's charting these days lol. ;)
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:54 pm

Jessel wrote:
Karine wrote:Even in these conditions, her songs are better than a lot of others that are recorded theses days...
I absolutely agree. I wouldn't even dare compare Sarah's songwriting to all the crap that's charting these days lol. ;)
I don't care if it takes her 5-6-7 years to record a new album. Of course, I would love something new before 2015, but as long as the songs are good, I'm okay with it. The reviews of her concerts are very good, she will probably release a live album/DVD at the end of the year (or a the beginning of 2012) and with the change of management, nobody knows what will happen next.
India is already going to school and Taja will begin kindergarten in 2012. Sarah said many times that she wants to spend time with her daughters while they're still at home with her, so I don't expect something new before 2013.
I'm sure it'll be a very good album! :)
Karine

RiverOfLove
Fallen

Post by RiverOfLove » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:51 am

Many artists don't even get up to 7 studio albums. I think Sarah is doing pretty well for herself.

Kate Bush herself has only released 8 studio albums, and she's been around for 10 years longer than Sarah.

Times seen Sarah Live:

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant." - Robert Louis Stevenson

RiverOfLove
Fallen

Post by RiverOfLove » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:17 pm

I also wanted to say that I think Sarah has become "comfortable" in the kind of music she does.

There's nothing wrong with that, but it's around that time that pop artists tend to lose their creativity. The same thing happened to Phil Collins, after Both Sides. He felt like he had "nothing left to prove" as a songwriter, and has released good, but not great, albums since then. At least, not like 1981-1993.

When Sarah released Fumbling, and Surfacing, she was in her creative peak. She was trying to make a name for herself, and she did. Ever since then, each album has been less than the one prior.

Surfacing > Afterglow
Afterglow > Wintersong
Wintersong > The Laws Of Illusion

If she wants to get back in her creative peak, she has to have that "taste for success" again. And I think Sarah is feeling perfectly content writing songs she's comfortable with. They're not bad songs, but they don't stack up to her 80's and 90's output.

Times seen Sarah Live:

Quincy
Fallen

Post by Quincy » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:50 pm

RiverOfLove wrote:I also wanted to say that I think Sarah has become "comfortable" in the kind of music she does.

There's nothing wrong with that, but it's around that time that pop artists tend to lose their creativity.

When Sarah released Fumbling, and Surfacing, she was in her creative peak. She was trying to make a name for herself, and she did. Ever since then, each album has been less than the one prior.

Surfacing > Afterglow
Afterglow > Wintersong
Wintersong > The Laws Of Illusion

If she wants to get back in her creative peak, she has to have that "taste for success" again. And I think Sarah is feeling perfectly content writing songs she's comfortable with. They're not bad songs, but they don't stack up to her 80's and 90's output.
Well said, and I agree with nearly everything apart from...LOI is worse than Wintersong??? :?
I've said in an earlier post that LOI is sitting comfortably with me and you're right there's nothing wrong with that.

Q