Harpos show, Victoria, B.C. August 6th, 1990

Check here for concert reviews and tour info
Islandflyer
Drifting

Harpos show, Victoria, B.C. August 6th, 1990

Post by Islandflyer » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:33 am

I downloaded this excellent early recording that Ellen has in the bootleg section. Lovely performances of some of the early songs Sarah was trying out for Solace, including a very different version of "Black", unlike any others I have heard, that I like a lot. "Lost" and "Mercy" are really haunting, and the performance of "The Waiting" is very good (misidentified on the file as "Close My Eyes". "So Close to You", another of the group that didn't make it on Solace, is very intense and emotional, and like the other "rejects", it is baffling why it didn't show up on one album or another. Most of these unfortunately have a lot of crowd noise, but altogether it's a very listenable setlist. Sarah has some amusing comments, but they're hard to hear over all the talking in the crowd. I have heard some say that she never sang again in quite the same way she did at this time, and you hear elements of her style here that were replaced by other emotional effects later on. I really can't image being in the same room with someone singing with the force and texture displayed here and not being completely absorbed.

"Forever Someday" is another good one, with a style very different from where she was apparently later going, with a more Celtic sound, it seems.

This is the earliest recording I have heard of "Terms of Endearment", one of my favorites, and is just fabulous.

She covered "Emily" by Simon & Garfunkel, "Where the Children Play", by Cat Stevens, and the ethereal and chilling "Gloomy Sunday", all to good effect.

I assume she was still playing 12-string herself at this time. The acoustic guitar sounds like her playing, in any case.

I don't know if Camille Henderson was with her that far back, but she had a good back-up singer. The electric lead on "Lost" and "Out of the Shadows" is really great, as well.

Those interested in her early live performances should check this out, and many others available on the site, too. Ellen is happy to provide downloads for those where noted, and this and many others are downloadable straight from the page.

Ed
Ed