Confirmed/Canceled Cities - Summer 2010 Leg

The topic for all things Lilith Fair
Miguel

Re: Confirmed Cities [Cancellation Updates] - Summer 2010 Leg

Post by Miguel » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:43 pm

Atlanta was the latest cancellation and apparently the last, confirmed on twitter a couple of hours ago
My Jon McLaughlin fansite
Member of the Hacking Team

biancadantas
Lost

Post by biancadantas » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:37 am

It's very sad so many shows had to be canceled, I'd be very disappointed and pissed off if I had planned to go and then i was took by surprise like this....
In my opinion, Sarah is not the one to blame on this situation, there are many other people involved and we know that money is the truly important thing when it comes to great venues. It doesn't really matter to managers that there are many die-hard fans of any artist that have planned on going; the thing is resumed by: they haven't sold a certain amount of tickets until now, so it won't be viable to reunite so many artists and still get the profit they aimed to. Another point to consider is that, if these dates happened, wouldn't it be really disappointing if they were a bust? Everyone would blame Sarah again....
Regarding to Sarah's personal life again, it's not her fault she's able to choose what she wants to do. I really don't think she was any insensitive at all when she says that, she only talks about that showing how grateful she feels about this. We must not forget that she tries to help people in so many ways and that she can't change the way music industry works by herself.
About her shows we got to understand that it has to be funny for everyone and although we may not feel so happy about it, Angel, Adia, BAM will always be the most requested songs from her catalog (Starbucks session is an example....). I really hope she sings other 'pearls' (like Captive, Here Lies My Heart, etc) but people in the audience (most of them) wouldn't know them....besides that, if she haven't included these songs in her catalog until then, probably she doesn't like them that much and/or she doesn't feel comfortable to play them in public.
That's my opinion about it and I truly support the right everyone has to think differently.
'Cause I can't be the one you wanted me to be....'
Signature by Ellen

Jessel
Fumbling

Re: Confirmed cities

Post by Jessel » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:42 am

chadwick wrote:i have to say i'm a little disappointed with sarah. i know she tries but i wish she acknowledged her fans a bit more. i remember her saying in recent interviews that she doesn't have to work again if she chooses to and how great that feels at 42. i always thought that was a selfish comment to make when some people have lost their jobs or worried about losing their jobs due to the recession.
Inasmuch as I hate to say this, I have to agree with you on that one. True, artists don't owe their fans anything except a little bit of APPRECIATION.
I'm not saying that Sarah doesn't fully appreciate her fans who stuck with her for God knows how long. I also understand that times are changing and music (and the music industry in general) isn't the same at it was 12-13 years ago and it's understandable that the new Lilith is going after new fans. Which brings me to my other point: it's just that most (or a good percentage) of the core audience from the previous Lilith simply doesn't "fit" into the new crowd. Seriously, I won't pay a lot of money to see auto-tune divas like Ke$ha (who I always try to avoid) spit out her garbage on a trash can lid and force it down my throat. No thanks. And I'm sure a lot of serious music fans back in the old days wouldn't put up with Mariah Carey on the Lilith stage either, even though girlfriend's got some pipes and deliver the goods well. Ignoring the ones who made it possible for you to go all the way to the top means there'd be the devil to pay, just saying. ;)

*off to listen to some live 90s music to keep the spirit of the old Lilith alive*
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...

TheSquirrel
Full Of Grace

Post by TheSquirrel » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:12 am

I feel sad for the fans but not surprised. Die hard fans don't make a difference to income, so are relatively unimportant. What earns the money are the crossover and borderline fans. That's where the extra money is made. The die hard fans don't make much difference to earnings. It's a business, and ticket sales aren't going well. I was not the slightest bit interested in Lilith from the start, but I am sad for those fans who were really looking forward to it, especially the die hard ones on here. Not sure about her reasons for bringing Lilith back but I suspect it was everything to do with business, and not having the ability or drive to go on a solo tour and carry all the weight of that on her shoulders. Lilith would act as the publicity to shift some extra units of the new album. Could be wrong, that's just my angle on it. Have to admit I'd love to see a solo tour. Maybe some fans are starting to see the mentality of Ms M. Yes she's selfish, but we all are. Music is a business. It's why I despair when I see fans worship an artist for reasons that go beyond music. It's all image, smoke and mirrors.

I'm a fan myself but I have a life outside music and Sarah McLachlan. I love her music. I would travel a long way to see her play, but that's for me, not for her or some misplaced loyalty. I don't care about her or about if she cares about her fans. If she snuffs it I am gutted - for me. I don't care about her or her family or anything. I'm gutted I will never get to hear that great voice again. I care about me me me. I pay her money to get on stage and sing, or write some songs. As long as she can still do that on stage live, and produce some reasonable material on album that's all I can expect.

The one good thing about being a Sarah McLachlan fan (obviously apart from the music), is the fans are a delight. I found that on her last UK tour and it's great to see the same names appearing and posting on here (and Sarahboards before that). A great little community. I am the resident miserable git on this site. That's my job. But the people here are fun, and I am sad that some have been disappointed. Let's hope we get to see her live. Will the sales of the album plus the sales of the Lilith tickets in the light of the recession cause a rethink about a possible tour? I hope not.
Last edited by TheSquirrel on Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm an opinionated old tosser and proud of it.

chadwick
Touched

Post by chadwick » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:41 pm

good points "thesquirrel"... i didn't lose any sleep over the fact that lilith was pulled from my area but i was disappointed. after 5 years, i would like the opportunity to see sarah live. she hasn't said much about a solo tour after lilith. i would rather spend money to see sarah solo rather than spill money for lilith especially when it now involves a 5 hour drive plus overnight lodging. perhaps she is keeping the solo tour on the down-low for that very reason... perhaps others are thinking the same thing. i have to admit that some of the main stage artists are not as appealing to what we had in the first era of lilith.
fumbling...

Blackangel12868
Building A Mystery

Post by Blackangel12868 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:37 am

I'm planning my trip for Lilith in MA on Friday!! I'm brimming with excitement but i'm trying to keep my expectations low.