Lilith Fair is over

The topic for all things Lilith Fair
Karine
A change is coming

Lilith Fair is over

Post by Karine » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:19 pm

From the Globe and Mail:
Despite assurances last summer that Lilith would return – even as attendance was tanking and shows being cancelled – Sarah McLachlan now says she will not revive her all-female music festival.
“It’s done,” McLachlan said in Calgary on Sunday. “And that’s okay. It’s actually a really good thing.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/art ... le1932922/

Maybe this has something to do with split from Nettwerk management...
Karine

Miguel

Re: Lilith Fair is over

Post by Miguel » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:39 pm

Yeah, it seems like Lilith 2010 was mismanaged from the start. Lack of promotion, high ticket prices and high profile artists pulling out was a deadly combo.
My Jon McLaughlin fansite
Member of the Hacking Team

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:59 am

^ I agree. Bad timing too. Launching a music festival during the height of the recession in addition to the factors mentioned above is a perfect recipe for disaster...

I agree with what Sarah said though. From a cultural standpoint (at least in the context of the empowerment of women in music) I believe that the Lilith ideology has run its course. The music industry is no longer as male-dominated as it was back in the 90s and that's one of Lilith's major contributions to music. Plus, the biggest names now are mostly women. Guess there's no need to 'fight' for something that was already won. :)
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...

Quincy
Fallen

Post by Quincy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:15 pm

It's a chicken & egg scenario, which came first; the Nettwerk breakup or the demise of Lilith. I think the fact that Lilith mk4 bombed as it did was the spark that lit the flame. I'm in no doubt that Nettwerk was the instigator of the latest Lilith. Tour to promote LOI by all means, but to push LF after all these years is a little baffling. Jessel has hit the nail on the head with this one (Again).

jessiemonkey
Fumbling

Post by jessiemonkey » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:15 am

oh man that really sucks.. :(
it has to be from the sarah/nettwerk thing. damn :(

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:22 pm

A new post from Sarah's Twitter & Facebook account:
As many of you know Lilith 2011 will not happen but I’m excited about looking forward & doing something new and different. Stay in touch!
Karine

jessiemonkey
Fumbling

Post by jessiemonkey » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:02 am

im excited to see what she meant by that :D

Empirejim
Drifting

Post by Empirejim » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:22 pm

I guess we can say now that Lilith, as we know it, will never repeat itself. Modern times prevail and people move on to do other callings. What we can get from all of this is a new hybrid On the Road Show called, Sarah and Friends. I like this formula much better as we get Sarah songs more. We all know that a new and long-awaited album will be out in the new year with possible touring to promote her new material. I urge all of you, that should you get the chance, to see her in concert, do it, as her appearences will become less frequent. It could be like a last World Tour that she might have for us. I think that after this round, her family will take most of her time and for us, it means good memories of someone we so loved and wished could always be there for us. I'm not trying to make this a dark scenario, just my thoughts that's all. I wish she could sing for another twenty-five years but we all know that will not happen. She will be older and so will we and doing other things is our nature. Just something to think about. ;)

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:32 pm

Lilith' Twitter page is still active:
http://twitter.com/lilithfair
Karine

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:33 pm

For Lilith's 20th anniversary, here's a very interesting paper about its impact on music. It's written in the form of a dialogue between those who took part in it (Sarah, Sheryl Crow, Suzanne Vega, Tegan and Sara, Terry McBride, Ashwin Sood, etc.).

The article talks about some positive and negative aspects of the tour, it's worth reading it, and looking at the video (further on the page).

https://www.glamour.com/story/the-oral- ... ilith-fair

From the article:

Look at this note written by Sarah
https://media.glamour.com/photos/59540d ... n-note.jpg

And a beautiful shoot taken last April:
https://media.glamour.com/photos/595183 ... form-2.jpg
Karine