Lilith in Boston MA (really Mansfield MA)

The topic for all things Lilith Fair
Blackangel12868
Building A Mystery

Lilith in Boston MA (really Mansfield MA)

Post by Blackangel12868 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:16 pm

This was my first Lilith. I was too young to go to any of the others and it was by far the best day of my life. i went with two of my friends and it was about a 3 hour right from where I live in New York to Mansfield. We wandered around a bit as we were some of the first people in the venue and stumbled upon the two little stages. We figured out which one Butterfly would be on and planted ourselves in front of that one but close enough to the second stage to have a good view for those as well.

It started with the local artist, Winterbloom which was really a conglomeration of several singer-song writers in their own right. They were really quite good.

Next up on the other stage was Zee Avi. She was very cute. She's kind of a jazz indie pop fusion. I loved her and will certainly be looking into her further.

Next was Butterfly Boucher. She was truly amazing. She started out with just her guitar and a rhythm track and then Sarah's band came out. I was quite close to the stage and right in Melissa's line of sight. Of course i was a giddy fool so every time she'd look in my direction i would light up and she smiled back at me a couple of times :D I honestly wasn't expecting Sarah to come sing with her because they had brought out the rest of the band already but when she brought Sarah out to sing with her, I almost peed myself. I was literally like, 10 feet away from her. I couldn't believe it. After butterfly's set she went up to the merch stand to sign some stuff so my friends and i missed Serena Ryder's set and the beginning of Ann Atomic to go get autographs. We also got a picture with her!

After Serena and Ann was Missy Higgins. She was lovely of course. The crowd really loved her. She was really happy to be there as well which i really loved.

After Missy's set we went to find some food and then planted ourselves on the lawn for the rest of Beth Orton's set.

Cat Power was up next. I'm a fan o hers but she really couldn't get a handle on the arena setting. She didn't talk to the audience at all which made it kind of awkward. People were talking through her set and i felt bad that she wasn't really getting the respect that she deserved. I think they should have switched Missy with her. In a smaller setting she would have been great.

Sara Bareilles came on after her and she was really hot stuff. The crowd was crazy for her and her voice is so killer especially in a live setting.

So in between Sara and Tegan and Sara we were hanging out on the lawn and i hadn't seen anybody be offered upgrades or anything so i was resigned to be on the lawn for the rest of the night. Which was fine, the sound was great and the screens were in excellent focus so we weren't missing anything. But. A woman from the venue came up to us and asked us how we'd like to get three tickets to sit 20 rows back from center stage for free. Uh, yes. So i gave her a hug and we trotted down to the floor. So amazing. We were so close!

Tegan and Sara were up next and from our new seats their set was electric. They are honestly better live than they are on their albums and their banter was quite good. We could see so well i had trouble with believing it was real life hahahaha.

Sarah Mclachlan was on last and she was ridiculous. The energy from the crowd was wicked and she picked up on it and ran with it. I don't remember the order but she sang Angel first with Melissa and Butterfly and it was one of my favorite renditions, the three part harmony was breath taking. She also sang Loving You is Easy, Stupid, I will Remember You, World on Fire, Illusions of Bliss, Building a Mystery, Sweet Surrender, Possession, Forgiveness, and Ice Cream for the encore. She seemed to really get into Stupid, so much so that she had to catch her breath and gather herself a bit afterwards, it was really an amazing performance.

Everyone except Cat and Zee Avi came out for Because the Night. Anybody that wasn't already up and dancing in the audience was up and shakin' it. It was one of the best crowds I have been a part of.

I really went with low expectations because of tall the crap i have read on the internet but it was the most amazing concert experience i have had so far. I am so privileged to have been able to go and see all of those amazing women play. I also have never been more inspired to be a better musician than watching them play.

If you have the opportunity, don't be scared away by the negativity in the press. It was unbelievable.

Kaleysuncle
Drifting

Re: Lilith in Boston MA (really Mansfield MA)

Post by Kaleysuncle » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:37 pm

^ Really awesome to hear girl! :)

I adore Tegan and Sara. Was this their first show? Their onstage bantering is hilarious. I was watching a video on Youtube last night and they called themselves the "gay Jonas Brothers" :lol:

I'm really love Stupid on this tour too! She's definitely going all out and I looove it!

Glad you had a great time. :)

In a timeless search for a love that might work... - Stevie Nicks

TheSquirrel
Full Of Grace

Post by TheSquirrel » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:40 pm

That was an excellent review. Well done.

Pleased to hear about the positive experience. I am presuming the attendance was pretty good at this one.
I'm an opinionated old tosser and proud of it.

Blackangel12868
Building A Mystery

Post by Blackangel12868 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:01 am

the attendance was pretty good! The first section of the theatre was at least 90% full, the uncovered seats was about half full, and the lawn was packed.

Kaleysuncle
Drifting

Post by Kaleysuncle » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:20 am

Did you buy any cool stuff? A friend of mine is supposed to be getting me the sexy wet Sarah poster. I can't wait to get it!

Blackangel12868
Building A Mystery

Post by Blackangel12868 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:52 am

I jumped on the sexy poster :) I also got the Sarah shirt with her artwork on it, a Lilith shirt, and Butterfly's album for her to sign. I spent way too much money :)

Kaleysuncle
Drifting

Post by Kaleysuncle » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:50 am

Blackangel12868 wrote:I jumped on the sexy poster :) I also got the Sarah shirt with her artwork on it, a Lilith shirt, and Butterfly's album for her to sign. I spent way too much money :)
Whooo yay! I'm not pleased with Sarah's shirts for guys. They're boring. I love her artwork and designs. She could do much better. :( I can't wait to get that poster though! It'll hang beside my Adam Lambert poster (once I get frames for both). :P

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:30 am

Blackangel12868 wrote:If you have the opportunity, don't be scared away by the negativity in the press. It was unbelievable.
It's nice to hear that. I suddenly feel dirty for believing all the bad press lol. ;) :P
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...

Miguel

Post by Miguel » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:46 pm

I can't believe you got Illusions of Bliss. Sarah must have been shifting IoB and Out of Tune. We got Out of Tune on Wednesday in Philly/Camden, then you got IOB and I went to the NYC/Holmdel show last night and got OoT again :(

About Cat Power, last night in NYC/Holmdel... I think she had a good voice and some of the music was nice but the fact that she didn't even introduce herself, her band and the songs made her performance awkward. People were talking and getting up from their seats for bathroom break/food during her set. They actually cheered as she finished and left! She really didn't deserve to be up on the main stage for 40-45 minutes, and definitely not go before Indigo Girls and Sarah.

Glad you had a great time and got upgraded!
My Jon McLaughlin fansite
Member of the Hacking Team

Karine
A change is coming

Post by Karine » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:52 pm

My sister was there too, in Boston: she loved the shows. I wish I was there (not in France doing my studies... :( )
She said she's Butterfly Boucher new best friend :lol:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- ... 2493_n.jpg

I'll try to show other pictures when she'll send them to me.
Karine