After Sunset - 1992 live album (UK/Europe release?)

Talk about Sarah's music
Miguel

After Sunset - 1992 live album (UK/Europe release?)

Post by Miguel » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:07 pm

I just discovered a listing on Amazon UK and other UK independent record stores for a live album titled "After Sunset: The Boston Broadcast Live"

it features a Solace era show from 1992, in Boston...for some reason, I feel like it might be a bootleg that may have been touched-up, but it does show up on a few sites...even HMV Japan, which is legitimate. It was released a month ago

https://www.amazon.co.uk/After-Sunset-2 ... B00Y29F23K
tracklist:
CD 1
Drawn To The Rhythm
Back Door Man
Home
Lost
Shelter
Black
Out Of The Shadows

CD2
Ben's Song
I Will Not Forget You
The Path Of Thorns (Terms)
Into The Fire
Steaming
Vox
Gloomy Sunday
My Jon McLaughlin fansite
Member of the Hacking Team

Karine
A change is coming

Re: After Sunset - 1992 live album (UK/Europe release?)

Post by Karine » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:41 pm

There's a short text about this release here:
http://64.150.169.164/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... &p=2646021
Description
When Sarah McLachlan released her debut album, Touch, in 1988, it signalled the arrival of a major songwriting talent. The nineteen-year-old singer attracted enthusiastic notices in her native Canada, but it would not be until her sophomore record, Solace, that she captured international attention.

McLachlan toured Solace for more than a year, an impressive effort that steadily built a diehard fanbase and elevated her profile, particularly in the US. The results of such a committed work ethic showed in the reception given to her next album and international breakthrough, Fumbling Towards Ecstasy. Coming in the winter of 1993 ('94 in the US), Fumbling Towards Ecstasy remained on the US Billboard charts for fully two years and established McLachlan as a global artist.

This concert comes during the lengthy Solace tour, a year prior to sessions for what would become Fumbling Towards Ecstasy. Taking place in Boston and broadcast live on WFNX, it showcases a vital, soulful and energetic McLachlan taking her audience through both Solace and some of her early compositions from Touch. After Sunset is a key artefact from the early years of McLachlan's career, and stands as a fascinating document of a young artist on the cusp of international stardom.
Karine

Miguel

Post by Miguel » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:58 am

well, my CD was shipped the day after I placed the order so hopefully I get it some time next week or even better later this week!

I'll report back with quality of sound and some pictures if they're worth taking :D

Islandflyer
Drifting

Post by Islandflyer » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:37 am

Miguel wrote:well, my CD was shipped the day after I placed the order so hopefully I get it some time next week or even better later this week!

I'll report back with quality of sound and some pictures if they're worth taking :D
Hey, Miquel. Great find! Thanks for the heads-up. I just ordered it, too. That's all the old stuff I really love. Can't miss this one. :D

Odd that it's not on Amazon in the U.S., but at least the same account works. Looking forward to it. I think Solace is what really sold me on her music in the first place, thanks to Ellen. :lol:
Ed

Miguel

Post by Miguel » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:29 am

My CD arrived today! That was mega fast

The same picture for the cover was used for the disc art. The back is the track list with picture of a random sunset :lol:

Karine, that blurb you posted is on the inside of the "booklet"...it's just 4 pages. This picture from Afterglow on one page Image
And the back has the song credits

Ed, I'm surprised it's not being sold in the U.S. either, not even on iTunes. Maybe this company doesn't have the rights to sell it here but maybe overseas? It's not an Arista/Legacy/Verve release.

Going to listen now..
Edit: So far it sounds good. It seems to be a mastered radio broadcast. They do announce it as " The Full Live WFNX Broadcast, April 6th, 1992". There are no skips or hisses like you'd normally hear on a bootleg.

Islandflyer
Drifting

Post by Islandflyer » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:48 am

Miguel wrote:My CD arrived today! That was mega fast

The same picture for the cover was used for the disc art. The back is the track list with picture of a random sunset :lol:

Karine, that blurb you posted is on the inside of the "booklet"...it's just 4 pages. This picture from Afterglow on one page Image
And the back has the song credits

Ed, I'm surprised it's not being sold in the U.S. either, not even on iTunes. Maybe this company doesn't have the rights to sell it here but maybe overseas? It's not an Arista/Legacy/Verve release.

Going to listen now..
Edit: So far it sounds good. It seems to be a mastered radio broadcast. They do announce it as " The Full Live WFNX Broadcast, April 6th, 1992". There are no skips or hisses like you'd normally hear on a bootleg.
My order has been "dispatched" Miquel. :D A quaint-sounding Victorian phrase. If it's as good as the 1992 Live CD or Under a Blackened Sky, it will be great. I don't see it in the list of bootlegs here, either. UABS sounds like it came right off the soundboard, so this one probably did too. But it must be legal, as I 'm sure Amazon wouldn't risk a lawsuit over something that probably won't sell a lot, anyway.

Wow, maybe a "new" Sarah after all these years! :lol:
Ed

Miguel

Post by Miguel » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:01 am

Not as good as the Live EP, but now that you mentioned it, Ed, it has an UABS-quality to it!

This collection fills that void (songs) missing from that EP, so it's good definitely worth having ;)

Islandflyer
Drifting

Post by Islandflyer » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:35 am

Miguel wrote:Not as good as the Live EP, but now that you mentioned it, Ed, it has an UABS-quality to it!

This collection fills that void (songs) missing from that EP, so it's good definitely worth having ;)
The Live EP was next on my list to get. I found some on Discogs.com but I'll be happy to have this one, too, Miquel.

She had a passion and intensity then that I guess you only have when you're young, and I love to hear the recordings from that time. IMO, her first 2 albums are seriously underrated, and continue to sound great over 20 years later.

These are all classic songs that I don't get tired of hearing. I know that everybody is supposed to have stopped buying CDs, but I like to have them, even though I do mostly listen to the MP3s. The banter and story-telling on UABS and the bootleg CDs from the nineties reveal a quirky, often silly and endearing part of her personality that has continued right up to the tour last year. :lol:
Ed

Miguel

Post by Miguel » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:53 am

The Live Ep is not hard to get anymore. They have quite a few used copies on Amazon. They have some new copies if you are willing to pay 30 and upwards :) I remember getting a sealed one for $50 like 9 years ago. I didn't know better then!

Islandflyer
Drifting

Post by Islandflyer » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:24 pm

Miguel wrote:The Live Ep is not hard to get anymore. They have quite a few used copies on Amazon. They have some new copies if you are willing to pay 30 and upwards :) I remember getting a sealed one for $50 like 9 years ago. I didn't know better then!
Ebay and other sites make finding this old stuff a lot easier and cheaper for sure, Miquel. :) I noticed that the bootleg I got from Ellen for her 4-26-92 Seattle show is the same tracklist as this one, some 3 weeks earlier in Boston. Except she sang a (very good) cover of Give It Up, by Talk Talk. This concert is one of my favorites, so I'm sure I'll like this one, too. Probably the Seattle show was the last on this part of the U.S. tour. This one has some of her most passionate singing, and would have been great as a live album, except for all the audience screaming on Steaming and some of the other songs. :lol:

The High in the Middle bootleg starts out with "Live from WMMS 100.7 at the Empire Concert Club, Cleveland, OH" so it was similarly broadcast on April 2, 1992. The track listing on the CD is funny, with "Homp" and "Vox", which is actually Steaming. :lol: I'm guessing this one was issued by the radio station as a promo, since there is no other identification on it or the case. Perhaps that was the situation with the original Boston recording.
Ed