Song of the Week 9/26/10 : WORLD ON FIRE

Talk about Sarah's music
Crazylitstudent
Drifting

Re: Song of the Week 8/8/10 : HOLD ON

Post by Crazylitstudent » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:26 pm

As much as I do love the song I'm not a fan of the slower live versions on Mirrorball and Afterglow live. These versions for me lack the emotional impact of the recorded version. The recorded version in places is like a punch to the gut, especially the opening "Hold on, hold on to yourself, for this is going to hurt like hell". By slowing the song right down I feel that the impact is lessened. I know some people will disagree with me on this one though.

chadwick
Touched

Post by chadwick » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:34 pm

i think this song is pretty intense. i really like the live version from "mirrorball" and "afterglow live." i LOVE the piano version on "the freedom sessions"... so raw and emotional.
fumbling...

Miguel

Post by Miguel » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:37 pm

Hold On is one of my top favorite Sarah songs.. there's so much emotion and sadness

I actually prefer the Chris Shaw mix of this track, can be heard here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtSGOEbylKM
It's pretty much the album version but with the guitars and bass amplified, makes it more rockier

As for live versions, I love the FTE Live version.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCuDGitjQgU
The intro (particularly her performance from West Palm Beach in 1994) is bluesy and I like to watch Sarah play electric guitar, especially for this song. Also love how she performed this during the 2005 leg of the Afterglow tour which was a mix of the FTE live and the Hold On II (from the single)
My Jon McLaughlin fansite
Member of the Hacking Team

Mooncrown

Re: Song of the Week 8/15/10 : PLENTY

Post by Mooncrown » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:55 pm

This song is very meaningful to me. I first heard it after I had ended two friendships that had become toxic to me. This song perfectly described what I was feeling and made me actually feel better about my situation. To me it speaks of the hurt you feel when you have been wronged , but also about how it feels freeing to be rid of the one (s) that hurt you in the first place. That's exactly how I felt-free. I had already gone through the pain and made my peace with it and now I felt a huge weight had been lifted. This is a wonderful song anyway, but when a song can make me feel something and I can relate to it, it raises it to another level.

Favorite lyric: And in that stillness there was a freedom, I'd never felt before
Favorite vocal Part-When she sings the line above
Favorite musical part: The "Do do's"
One word that sums up this song: Betrayal

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:47 pm

It's a nice tune but I should say that this is one Sarah song I couldn't care less about. I'm not sure if this is true but I think this song is about her short-term(?) crappy relationship with Dave Kershaw.
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...

Danyy
Full Of Grace

Post by Danyy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:13 pm

Jessel wrote:I'm not sure if this is true but I think this song is about her short-term(?) crappy relationship with Dave Kershaw.
I recall reading/hearing that somewhere as well, but I don't remember where exactly.

As for the song, I love it (as any other song from FTE) <3
Sadly, I think we all go through what this song talks about at some point in our lives, being let down by this person we thought we knew so well and afterwards feeling like we never knew them at all, it's quite sad (it would actually fit in the theme of LOI).
Carla

Signature and avatar by Ellen

Empirejim
Drifting

Post by Empirejim » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:44 am

Well, your right about the song. It was sung for the period in life of Sarah and Dave. It was best that it ended fast as it would not have worked out at all. I just couldn't see Sarah with Dave, sorry. As for the song, great as were all of them on F.T.E. That CD was a pure work of art and will remain, my number one.

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:49 pm

Empirejim wrote:I just couldn't see Sarah with Dave, sorry.
You're not alone in that lol. :P
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...

biancadantas
Lost

Post by biancadantas » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:20 pm

This is one of my facorite songs ever, I love the arrangement and how Sarah sings it. It says a lot to me and is very representative of a phase of my life

Favorite lyrics: And I would stand by you no matter what they'd say, I thought I'd be with you until my dying day....
Favorite vocal moment: You hurt me more than I ever would have imagined, you made my life stand still...

I also love the drums that suddenly appear in the song.
'Cause I can't be the one you wanted me to be....'
Signature by Ellen

Blackangel12868
Building A Mystery

Post by Blackangel12868 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:59 pm

I love this song. It's one of my favorites because it's so delicately arranged. The harmonies just fall into place which really helps the lyrics stand out. My favorite line in the 'you hurt me more than i ever would have imagined' line, which seems to be quite popular :)