Song of the Week 9/26/10 : WORLD ON FIRE

Talk about Sarah's music
biancadantas
Lost

Re: Song of the Week 9/5/10 : WAIT

Post by biancadantas » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:58 am

One of my favorite FTE songs. I love when she sings the chorus: "When all we wanted was the dream to have and to hold that precio :D us little thing...."
'Cause I can't be the one you wanted me to be....'
Signature by Ellen

Jujube

Post by Jujube » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:33 am

Quincy wrote:Another fantastic song, again one I never tire of listening to.

In a World Cafe Radio interview in March 1994, Sarah had the following to say:
It's sort of about loss of innocence and the feeling that for every generation, with every generation, there is a group of individuals who will go outside of the norm and outside of society. We'll be the outcasts, and we'll try to make a difference. But it seems, eventually, they all get sucked back in, or they lose their minds completely, so it was kind of a sad thing for me. But I still have that idealism.

Q

Q
Wait is probably most often my favorite Sarah song. I particularly love the guitar riffs and remember enjoying the way she jams and rocks out on the guitar during this song on the Mirrorball DVD, which only further made me love this song. I always loved this explanation of the song, and one of my favorite lyrics alludes to this, "a newborn hope unjaded by the years."

OzFumbler

Post by OzFumbler » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:41 am

I bought the Sarah songbook for guitar so I could learn this one - its very easy!

Chords: Bm Ab A G D i think are used - not much more - im not 100% but this is close

Mooncrown

Re: Song of the Week 9/19/10 : ICE CREAM

Post by Mooncrown » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:44 am

This is Sarah's self-professed happy love song, but she can't help but have that bit of darkness thrown in. Although she is saying that her partner's love is better than ice cream anf chocolate, she still warns that it will be a long fall down if something goes wrong. This song has special meaning for me because it was played at my wedding. My wife and I both LOVE ice cream and Sarah and we had this played while we cut our cake which was a Ben & Jerry's ice cream wedding cake-it was just perfect! This song always makes me smile. Love it's beautiful simplicity.

Favorite Lyric: Your love is better than ice cream
Favorite Musical Part: The beginning
Favorite Vocal Part: "It's a long way down to the place where we started from"
One Word That Sums Up This Song: Bliss

Danyy
Full Of Grace

Post by Danyy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:07 pm

Aww, Ice Cream such a cheerful song <3 It's such a sweet song, but it doesn't fail to stay true to reality, because relationships are like that, no matter how happy the person makes you feel there's always this feeling/fear that everything can go wrong at any moment and the higher you are, the higher you fall.
I definitely prefer the live versions of this one, I feel the studio version misses that energy the live ones provide, it seems like a bit "empty" to me, like something's missing.
Carla

Signature and avatar by Ellen

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:16 am

^ I agree, live versions of Ice Cream is much preferable to the studio version.
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...

chadwick
Touched

Post by chadwick » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:25 pm

i prefer the studio version of this, mainly because of the piano. i do enjoy the live versions though but it brings a different energy to the song.
fumbling...

Mooncrown

Re: Song of the Week 9/26/10 : WORLD ON FIRE

Post by Mooncrown » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:26 am

This is one of my favorites off of Afterglow. She does such a great job of conveying social/political commentary without completely hitting you over the head with it. Her earnest and warm vocal makes you feel what she is feeling and want to do something. I like how she takes responsibility and wants to take action and doesn't just place the blame for the state of the world on everyone else. A beautiful song destined to become one of her classics for years to come.

Favorite Lyric: We part the veil on our killer sun
Favorite Musical Part : The piano after "The fortune of one man means less for some"
Favorite Vocal Part: How her voice goes up on"Try to bring more"
One Word That Sums Up This Song: Despair

Empirejim
Drifting

Post by Empirejim » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:52 am

It depends how we feel at the time or during the week. Did we have a great one or were there many depressing moments that threw us off our game. Music does reflect those moments and carries us out or deeper into our own personal void. Whether it be Sarah, or some other artist, music at that time will make or break us. It will help or not, to smooth our time and carry us to a better mind's space. With all that said, I am feeling good this very moment and look towards Sarah's music to start the day. From her album Solace, Drawn to the Rhythm, will do it for me, at this time. I wish you all a good week. :D

Empirejim
Drifting

Post by Empirejim » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:09 pm

Because it is brand new and quite refreshing, my song of the week is her new song. Not sure of the title and don't want to give the wrong info. Sarah makes us happy again and I'm sure that there WILL be a buzz in the Sarah community now. Have a good day people. ;)