Song of the Week 9/26/10 : WORLD ON FIRE

Talk about Sarah's music
Mooncrown

Re: Song of the Week 8/29/10 : ADIA

Post by Mooncrown » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:52 am

I really loved Adia when I first heard it, but over the years it has worn off and is not one of my favorites. I still think it's pretty but maybe I've just heard it too many times. It seems to be about a friend who has made some mistake and she is telling them how amazing they are and encouraging them to look past it and continue living. Does anyone know if she said who this is about-you guys have been so helpful before-I'm learning a lot! I think the song would be more interesting if it had a bridge. It's just an OK song for me - not terrible-but just not great.

Favorite lyric: I pull you from your tower, take away your pain
Favorite musical part: the paino when the songs slows down before the last set of choruses
Favorite vocal part: When her voice goes up during "It's easy" during the chorus
One Word That Sums up this song: Support

What do you think of this song?

biancadantas
Lost

Post by biancadantas » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:37 am

This song introduced to Sarah's world back in 1998, it was from a soap opera soundtrack and at that time I used to purchase a lot of soundtrack albums. When I first listened to the song I instantly fell in love with that voice and it has instantly became one of my favorite songs.

I don't know if it's real but the story I know about the song is that Sarah wrote it when her friendship with Crystal was put in test because of her new relationship with Ashwin who used to date Crystal some time before. I think Sarah told this story in her A Life Of Music dvd, but i might be delirious... :?

Favorite musical part: I leave you with your misery, a friend who won't betray, I pull you from your tower, I take away your pain and show you all the beauty you possess if you'd only let yourself believe...
Favorite lyrics: Cause we are born innocent, believe me Adia, we are still innocent, it's easy, we all falter, but does it matter?
One Word That Sums up this song: Forgiveness.
'Cause I can't be the one you wanted me to be....'
Signature by Ellen

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:52 am

biancadantas wrote:I don't know if it's real but the story I know about the song is that Sarah wrote it when her friendship with Crystal was put in test because of her new relationship with Ashwin who used to date Crystal some time before.
I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. Okay, I'm not sure if I'm alone in thinking that Adia have some lesbian undertones but that's how I interpreted it back in the day when I first heard it, partly because of these lyrics:
"Don't you know I tried so hard to love you in my way?"
"We are born innocent. Believe me Adia, we are still innocent..."

Anyway, this is my 2nd favorite track off Surfacing. Though I got a little tired of listening to it recently. Still it's a great Sarah tune that I don't mind hearing occasionally.

@Quincy:
Yeah I know lol. I'm quite puzzled too at first but eventually I came to the conclusion that it fits perfectly. I think she mentioned it in one of the Harpo's boots...
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...

Quincy
Fallen

Post by Quincy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:52 pm

Jessel wrote:Okay, I'm not sure if I'm alone in thinking that Adia have some lesbian undertones but that's how I interpreted it back in the day when I first heard it,
@Quincy:
Yeah I know lol. I'm quite puzzled too at first but eventually I came to the conclusion that it fits perfectly. I think she mentioned it in one of the Harpo's boots...
No you're not alone with that interpretation, she has admitted to having "A kiss" with another women. I just thought it was me being a pervy!! (Please..Don't respond to that!!)

I'll have to listen to Harpo's again, must have missed it first time.

Mooncrown

Re: Song of the Week 9/5/10 : WAIT

Post by Mooncrown » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:02 am

This is another gem from FTE. A beautiful and haunting song that stays with you long after it is gone. I'm not sure if i read this, or if I made up the image in my mind, but it some of it sounds like her longing to have a child or possibly losing a child? Anyway, there's some really beautiful, but sorrowful imagery in the lyrics here and as always she delivers them with emotion and makes you feel it.

Favorite lyric: Under a blackened sky, far beyond the glaring streetlights
Favorite musical moment: The quiet beginning
Favorite Vocal Moment ; "And there is a love that's inherently given"
One Word That Sums Up This Song: Loss

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:19 am

Quincy wrote: I just thought it was me being a pervy!!
LMAO!
I wonder if she's thinking of that "woman" while she's writing the song...

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:25 am

Mooncrown wrote:A beautiful and haunting song that stays with you long after it is gone.
I agree. Fumbling, Possession, & Wait are my top 3 songs from the album. :)

Empirejim
Drifting

Post by Empirejim » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:57 pm

Would like to put in my two cents. The song Wait, just fantastic, as all the songs are on F.T.E. I have always said that the CD is her best work.

Quincy
Fallen

Post by Quincy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:15 pm

Another fantastic song, again one I never tire of listening to.

From the December 1993 issue of Impact magazine:
Wait is another song describing love's contradictions: "There is a love that's inherently given/The kind of love offered to deceive. "
"It's about how love is set up to be this high-falutin' unconditional love, and that just doesn't really exist," Sarah says. "But it's offered up as this ideal that you can have. There's no perfect love. You can get damn close, but there's going to be something..."
In a World Cafe Radio interview in March 1994, Sarah had the following to say:
It's sort of about loss of innocence and the feeling that for every generation, with every generation, there is a group of individuals who will go outside of the norm and outside of society. We'll be the outcasts, and we'll try to make a difference. But it seems, eventually, they all get sucked back in, or they lose their minds completely, so it was kind of a sad thing for me. But I still have that idealism.

Q

Q

Danyy
Full Of Grace

Post by Danyy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:00 pm

Wait is such a fabulous song, it's part of the amazingness that surrounds FTE (which is my favourite Sarah album). I always got that feeling of loss from the song as well, but I never really knew what it was about, so thanks for sharing Quincy :D
Carla

Signature and avatar by Ellen