Rarities. B-Sides

Talk about Sarah's music
Crazylitstudent
Drifting

Re: Rarities. B-Sides

Post by Crazylitstudent » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:16 am

In my opinon Raraties vol 2 is baring the two remix CDs the worst thing Sarah has released. But this is only because of what I feel as mistakes in the track chooices. River is not a rare track as its on Wintersong, a CD most Sarah fans would have bought and therefore would have been better saved for Closer. In Don't let Go Sarah is nothing more than a gloyifed back-up singer and I don't even think its a good Byran Adams track!

Angel with Emmylou is another track I could have done without. I know Angel is the song that casual Sarah fans obsess over but I think this slot on the CD should have gone to the Jann Arden duet. Or if they wanted something from the Lilith CDs then the live version of Black And White would have been much better. And yet another remix of Silence??? Look I love that song but enough already!!

The CD could have been so much better but I guess Sony/Arista/Nettwerk wanted to put out the most commercial tracks possible.... Understandable I guess but the end result was underwelming.

Miguel

Post by Miguel » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:48 am

Crazylitstudent wrote:River is not a rare track as its on Wintersong, a CD most Sarah fans would have bought and therefore would have been better saved for Closer.
It's the EPK performance version and not the same one as Wintersong, so it is slightly rare.

Her duet with Jann Arden should've been here as well, but as Quincy pointed out, it would've made Sarah look even more of a session artist.

The biggest mistake was adding Tiesto's remix of Silence. It was already on the original Remixed album
My Jon McLaughlin fansite
Member of the Hacking Team

Kaleysuncle
Drifting

Post by Kaleysuncle » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:57 am

Crazylitstudent wrote:
Angel with Emmylou is another track I could have done without. I know Angel is the song that casual Sarah fans obsess over but I think this slot on the CD should have gone to the Jann Arden duet.
I totally agree. That duet is perfection.

In a timeless search for a love that might work... - Stevie Nicks

chadwick
Touched

Post by chadwick » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:26 pm

i liked the piano stripped version of "river" (better than the studio version). i agree that "rarities 2" doesn't get much airplay from me, the first one as well... mainly because i've heard these songs numerous times before. for a casual sarah fan, i'm sure they were an amazing collection since they probably haven't heard the selected tracks.

as for the remix records, i have both of them! i liked "bloom" over the first release. i don't like every remix but there a few from "bloom" and one from the first one that occasionally make my workout mix. in general, i do like remixes because i find the twists and beats interesting and they translate well during gym time. i don't like it when they draw them out for 7-8 minutes (the first remixed record suffered from this... i like the 3-4 minute ones (most of "bloom"). my favorites from "bloom" are world on fire, dirty little secret, vox, and fumbling towards ecstasy.

i'm sure there are some goodies that sarah has locked away in the vaults. it would be nice to see some type of true rarity compilation to satisfy her true fans... it seems that sarah sticks within her current era and doesn't revisit the past too much... is this what y'all meant by sarah being a "session artist?"
Last edited by chadwick on Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fumbling...

Miguel

Post by Miguel » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:33 pm

Session artist as in she's a background vocals performer for most of Rarities 2. She's a featured artist on half of the record. We don't mean this in an insulting way btw. It's sad she hasn't released many non-album solo material since Afterglow :(
My Jon McLaughlin fansite
Member of the Hacking Team

chadwick
Touched

Post by chadwick » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:43 pm

oh... i see. yeah, she is featured in most of the songs. thanks for clearing that up.

yeah... i'm bummed that she doesn't release b-sides. i guess every song she writes and records end up on the record... it makes sense since she has a hard time writing. i guess it would be fun to have a cover here and there like she's done in the past. i hope we see some digital EPs when the new record surfaces. maybe we'll be surprised this time around.
fumbling...

Jessel
Fumbling

Post by Jessel » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:56 am

Quincy wrote:Don't forget the Mk I version of "Full of grace" which was "Fall from grace".
I like the version of Full of Grace from the Moll Flanders OST better than the album version, although (as far as I can tell) there is not much difference besides some words being in the past tense.
One little leaf adrift in the breeze, refuses to fall from the sky
Blown by the wind it clings to the tree, unwilling to wither and die...

Quincy
Fallen

Post by Quincy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:57 pm

Miguel wrote:
Crazylitstudent wrote:River is not a rare track as its on Wintersong, a CD most Sarah fans would have bought and therefore would have been better saved for Closer.
It's the EPK performance version and not the same one as Wintersong, so it is slightly rare.
But don't you think that the differences are so subtle that it's almost the same song? it took me a couple of playings before I spotted the changes.

Empirejim
Drifting

Post by Empirejim » Thu May 20, 2010 2:08 pm

It is to my understanding that most of you own these two Rarities CD's. Is there anyone out there that does not.

Danyy
Full Of Grace

Post by Danyy » Thu May 20, 2010 5:03 pm

Empirejim wrote:It is to my understanding that most of you own these two Rarities CD's. Is there anyone out there that does not.
Well, sadly, I don't :(
Carla

Signature and avatar by Ellen